Jump to content
Whatbird Community

Audio from a New Mexico Valley


Recommended Posts

Me again. These are near the Rio Grande, Española, N.M., this morning.

1. A robin-like song.  A robin would be really unusual here in summer, but I'm not saying it couldn't happen.  Black-headed Grosbeaks are expected (and I heard one a mile or so away), but it doesn't seem to have a wide enough pitch range or the descending slides.  I'd like it to be a Summer Tanager, which is rare, but there was a family last summer within a couple miles.  Maybe the sound is too smooth, though.

2. This one and the next might be just more sounds from the ubiquitous Yellow-breasted Chats (and ignore the ubiquitous Yellow Warblers and common Western Wood-Pewees).  On this one I'm interested in the descending "rolled r" at around 0:04, 0:16, 0:23, 0:35, and 0:51 (I think that's the same thing).

3. The little "bdoot" at 0:03, 0:12 (I think), 0:21, and 0:44.

 

robinq83.mp3 descendingtrill82crop.mp3 kabrick07.mp3

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1. Sounds fine for Black-headed Grosbeak IMO

2. House Wren. Interestingly it's a very similar call to that which is made by Carolina Wrens, and House Wrens in the east do not make this sound

3 is not coming to me, it's not easy for someone who no longer lives in the southwest but it's almost certainly solvable by someone else

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

2 hours ago, Hasan said:

1. Sounds fine for Black-headed Grosbeak IMO

2. House Wren. Interestingly it's a very similar call to that which is made by Carolina Wrens, and House Wrens in the east do not make this sound

3 is not coming to me, it's not easy for someone who no longer lives in the southwest but it's almost certainly solvable by someone else

Thanks!  House Wren, who'd have thought?  I'd better learn that one.

(I assume there are separate trademark offices for East and West, and Carolina Wren got that one for the East but House Wren got it for the West.)

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1. I'm liking Summer Tanager.. The phrases are too separated for BHGR, and also you can hear some high pitched phrases as well... but the individual phrases fit better for Tanager than Robin. 

2. Yellow-breasted Chats. They make the chatter and churr sound

3. Another Chat

Edited by Melierax
  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, Melierax said:

1. I'm liking Summer Tanager.. The phrases are too separated for BHGR, and also you can hear some high pitched phrases as well... but the individual phrases fit better for Tanager than Robin. 

2. Yellow-breasted Chats. They make the chatter and churr sound

3. Another Chat

Agree with @Melierax

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Melierax said:

1. I'm liking Summer Tanager.. The phrases are too separated for BHGR, and also you can hear some high pitched phrases as well... but the individual phrases fit better for Tanager than Robin. 

2. Yellow-breasted Chats. They make the chatter and churr sound

3. Another Chat

I'm pretty confused by this. Obviously there are chats in the second recording, but you're saying the call in question is also a chat? Here's the House Wren call I'm referring to: https://macaulaylibrary.org/asset/56882

The first recording sounds far too sickly and weak for Summer Tanager IMO, but hey I could be wrong.

Edited by Hasan
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Hasan said:

I'm pretty confused by this. Obviously there are chats in the second recording, but you're saying the call in question is also a chat? Here's the House Wren call I'm referring to: https://macaulaylibrary.org/asset/56882

The first recording sounds far too sickly and weak for Summer Tanager IMO, but hey I could be wrong.

The quality is completely wrong for HOWR. There's far too few notes and it's very clear and bright sounding. Here's the difference in spectrograms:

spec2.PNG.74ca4274b4aa56271f9cf163f8d5438e.PNGspec1.PNG.5e7b0ff815998180c58b70020d27c630.PNG

One major thing that makes me lean SUTA is the fact that every phrase is about the same length. BHGR tend to have wide variety between phrases, giving it the feel that it's alternating between short and long phrases. I'm not getting a "sickly" vibe - you might be getting that in part just because it's in the background of a fuzzy recording.

Edited by Melierax
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I got another opinion on the first recording, from a xeno-canto contributor, Bruce Lagerquist.  He wrote,

"It's not manic enough for a Black-headed Grosbeak. The cadence is bit too measured for a Robin. It seems to match up nice to a Summer Tanager. XC449558 Thanks for posting that up."

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...