Whatbird Community

Incredible White Eye Ring

6 minutes ago, Melierax said:

That's actually a white-eye, a bird from Asia. I don't remember if those are actual vagrants in California or typically escapees, or what.

41C652F4-3F91-4CC8-88DA-2E75B4F79250.jpeg

Edited by gstacks
  • Like 1

Thanks Connor (and Sean). It's not listed in my Sibley's Birder's Life List and Field Guide Diary.

I read up on it this morning.

"In 2019 the IOC revised their taxonomy of white-eyes, which included recognizing the simplex subspecies of “Japanese White-eye” and several other taxa as Swinhoe’s White-eye; and reorganizing “Japanese White-eye”, which they now list as Warbling White-eye."

This decision has now been followed by eBird in their eBird/Clements 2019 Taxonomy Update (August 7th).  Introducing this revision, their entertaining recipe-style update states that: “Asian Zosterops have undergone a comprehensive, extensive, and confusing reorganization. Much of this is based on several studies that include an extensive genetic phylogeny for the taxa in south and east Asia…”

This is a new realm for me.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Connor Cochrane said:

It’s a Swinhoe’s White Eye, they were brought over as cage birds originally. 

This. They got introduced in the SoCal area and now are uncommon but increasing( in my experience). 

• Like 2