Whatbird Community

Found this bird wing this morning in Alameda, CA. I think it might be the neighborhood wild turkey?

What do you think happened to it? It's so bizarre to see the entire wing just abandoned like that. We have Cooper Hawks. There is a Bald Eagle nest about 15 miles away. We have roving bands of raccoons and teenagers. The weird thing is that there is no other sign of the bird or an attack. No blood, feathers, etc. No noise during the night, which my dog would have heard. Does the one photo that shows the wing bone and some blood shed any light on how it was detached?

On 10/13/2018 at 3:29 PM, Jenna said:

What do you think happened to it? It's so bizarre to see the entire wing just abandoned like that. We have Cooper Hawks. There is a Bald Eagle nest about 15 miles away. We have roving bands of raccoons and teenagers. The weird thing is that there is no other sign of the bird or an attack. No blood, feathers, etc. No noise during the night, which my dog would have heard. Does the one photo that shows the wing bone and some blood shed any light on how it was detached?

After looking at what appears to be a clean, straight cut of at least one of the bones, I tend to agree with Creeker. The rest of the bird is probably someone's dinner but I have no idea why the wing would be removed.

15 hours ago, lonestranger said:

After looking at what appears to be a clean, straight cut of at least one of the bones, I tend to agree with Creeker. The rest of the bird is probably someone's dinner but I have no idea why the wing would be removed.

Wild Turkeys don't have a lot of meat except in the breast and thighs. Removing the wings could make it easier to "breast" the turkey, that is to cut the breast meat off the bone to make a fillet. Could also make the carcass less identifiable if someone was being sneaky. Alameda is a pretty built up urban/suburban area, so lots of people around.

• Like 1