Whatbird Community

Warbler ID, Charlotte North Carolina

1 hour ago, The Bird Nuts said:

Are you joking about the wren being in Carolina or are you saying the wren is actually a Carolina Wren?

I'm say the the bird in the video and photo, are of the species, Carolina Wren (Throthorus ludovicainus)

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, Kevin said:

I'm say the the bird in the video and photo, are of the species, Carolina Wren (Throthorus ludovicainus)

I'll take your word for it.  To me it looks like a Blue Jay and a Hairy Woodpecker loved each other very, VERY much; so much that their love needed more than just the two of them to share it ...

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

47 minutes ago, Kevin said:

Okay, thanks.  What makes you say that?  I was about to say it's not identifiable to species.  I can't see any plumage pattern in either the photo or video since it is fluffing up its feathers and preening. 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, The Bird Nuts said:

Okay, thanks.  What makes you say that?  I was about to say it's not identifiable to species.  I can't see any plumage pattern in either the photo or video since it is fluffing up its feathers and preening. 

I'm never very good at this... We both seem to agree that this bird is in the wren family so I will abstain from elaborating on that point. As for my reasons for it being a Carolina, here is the following:

1 The birds seems to have a contrast between the throat and chest/stomach, a white throat, and darker underparts. I know the video is bad, and that impression could be wrong, but keep it in mind. 

2 At one point I think I see a white eyeline, but that could be a twig or something in front of the bird, and it is moving it's head so much it is hard to find a spot that the head can be seen.

3 There is a Carolina Wren singing in the back ground. I almost always see these in small groups, and nearly never alone. 

4 They are tied for being the five most common birds in Mecklenburg County, Thus making it probable that @AlexGeorge's sister would run across one. . Not that house wrens are rare, they don't seem to be really common.(See screen shot below.)

By the way I went through the video using the bar at the bottom so I seeing 5 or 6 (still) frames per second. 

Maybe it does not seem like much, but I get the impression that the bird is a Carolina Wren. 

image.png

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Charlie Spencer said:

Unless they’re raising young, I usually see them alone. 

I usually hear two in my yard. I've only seen a house wren once in the yard during spring migration once, so weirdly carolina wrens are common here. Which really is strange if you look at the distribution map for the carolina wren. But just one county over in Schoharie, house wrens are more common.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Kevin said:

3 There is a Carolina Wren singing in the back ground. I almost always see these in small groups, and nearly never alone.

Ah, yep, I didn't have my speakers loud enough the first time, so I didn't even know the video had audio.  I think you're right that it is more likely a Carolina.  Without a description of the bird, though, I don't think we should say it IS a Carolina.

• Like 5