Whatbird Community

On 7/26/2021 at 11:45 AM, Kevin said:

As usual, I am glad to see you one again @millipede!

ha... I thought most people were relieved when I wasn't around... HA

On 7/26/2021 at 5:51 PM, Hasan said:

Yeah I'm very confused as to how you guys are identifying this... Ring-billed is the most likely option, but for me it's just gull sp.

At the moment, it's on eBird as gull sp.  I have no problem leaving it that way. I must say, something about it sure looks weird to me. There were more gulls but they were even further away. Probably should have pulled the scope out but it's only good at the 20x setting... and they were a ways off. I MIGHT swing by there again Saturday.  Sunday I dropped a kid off at camp near there... Saturday I pick them up.
It was at a water treatment place where you can drive out on a thin strip in a loop... pond like in the middle... HUGE lake around it. No eBird reports from there before that I could see. Never mind, there's about 5, all with weird names. I need to create a hotspot there. Sort of in the middle of nowhere but a cool spot.
If I get out there again I'll try for better photos if there are gulls still present.
In the meantime... here are all 4 photos I took put into one... Not sure it will change anything. You might be able to tell by the bird... it was HOT out.  blech... image.thumb.png.2fce65ac6674cfb108c1fa7aea339064.png

• Like 2

11 hours ago, millipede said:

It was at a water treatment place where you can drive out on a thin strip in a loop... pond like in the middle... HUGE lake around it.

@millipede, would you mind posting the checklist?  I'd like to see where this is.  I'll probably never be out to bird there, I just want to look at the satellite view.  I thought all water treatment plants were registered as hotspots by now!

Edited by Charlie Spencer
  • Like 3

On 7/29/2021 at 5:55 AM, Charlie Spencer said:

would you mind posting the checklist?  I'd like to see where this is.  I'll probably never be out to bird there, I just want to look at the satellite view.  I thought all water treatment plants were registered as hotspots by now!

I don't remember what map I was looking at that said it was a water treatment place...  I know that's what was in my head, so where did I see it?
I decided to make it a hotspot and I thought, I better name it accurately. So I went back to google maps and, I didn't see anything.. no name there. Odd.
But, I clicked on a little square where a building was and "Grand River Pumping Station" came up... so, that's what I named it. I just checked the checklist again and they accepted it as a hotspot.
https://ebird.org/checklist/S92290567  

I'll be out that way again tomorrow morning so I will stop by and make another checklist. I'll double check to see if there's any signs up... 

And speaking of water treatment...  I am sure there are others out there that aren't hotspots...  The town I live in, they wont let anyone go birding there. They had a real lame excuse when I asked once, a couple years ago...  that was if they let me in, then they'd have to let fishermen and other people in as well. Are there even fish at the wastewater plant? hmmm... Kind of a sad excuse... and disappointing. On the map, it's huge. It looks bigger than the local 60 acre lake I go to regularly...  A LOT of water... When I asked, I said I imagine there's a lot of birds in the winter and they said yep...  ugh... I wonder what amazing and maybe even rare birds have passed through there and nobody will ever know. 😞 

• Sad 5

37 minutes ago, millipede said:

And speaking of water treatment...  I am sure there are others out there that aren't hotspots...  The town I live in, they wont let anyone go birding there. They had a real lame excuse when I asked once, a couple years ago...  that was if they let me in, then they'd have to let fishermen and other people in as well.

That's usually for insurance purposes.  If the facility provides supervision, they'll have to pay someone to do it.  If they let people in unsupervised, then when (not if) some idiot gets injured doing something stupid (see 'Florida Guy'), he'll sue.  Even if he doesn't have a legal leg to stand on (or even physical ones at this point), fighting it in court is a waste of resources.

The Savannah River (SC) nuclear fuel and weapons site is a listed hot spot.  So are spots on many military bases.  Good luck getting in them to bird without knowing someone.

• Like 1