Whatbird Community

Black-throated Sparrow (lifer confirmation) - BBNP - Cottonwood Campground - Brewster Co, TX - 7/25/21

You need to take more responsibility for your own identifications. At some point you will have to make a identification of a bird you aren’t familiar with in the field without anyone else confirming it. At some point a rarity will be on the line and your need for confirmation / reliance on others to affirm your IDs will mean that you don’t make the call, you don’t report the bird. And sure maybe you get photos and post them here and confirm the ID. But by then it’s too late, the rare bird is gone, and you’ve just robbed the entire community of the opportunity to see a rare bird just because you needed someone else to confirm your ID.

When IDs are extremely complicated, subtle, difficult for whatever reason, like some peeps, gulls, etc, it makes sense to err in the side of being cautious. But when IDs are relatively straightforward, you need to just take responsibility for your own IDs and make careful identifications in the field on your own.

• Like 4

You’re just clearly good enough at birding that you shouldn’t need confirmation on all these straightforward IDs. The female hummingbird, the flycatcher, sure. But the acorn woodpecker, this black-throated sparrow - you are obviously good enough to do this on your own.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I’m sorry. You’re obviously welcome to post whatever you want. I just think you seem to know what you’re doing and I think maybe you’re better than you realize and you just need to be a little more confident and self assured is all

• Like 2

@AlexHenryI appreciate the constructive criticism about over-posting ID confirmations and will try to refrain from the more obvious IDs moving forward.  I'm constantly on guard against the Dunning-Krueger effect when it comes to bird IDs as it's gotten me into some embarrassing spots with experts from time to time thus far (particularly one recently with an audio ID between a Lesser Nighthawk and an Eastern Screech Owl), but your point is well taken.  As always, I appreciate all the help I get from the experts on this site, and certainly don't want to wear out my welcome.  🙂

• Like 5