Whatbird Community

Broad-tailed Hummingbird? - Big Bend Nat'l. Park - Chisos Mtns. - Outer Mountain Loop - Brewster Co, TX - 7/24/21

• 2 weeks later...

This is what he said, in case it helps anybody: "Female Broad-tailed would have more of a pale face with an eyeing and lacking the dark line in front of the eye. Female Broad-tailed also typically have a more speckled (less whitish) throat and seldom have a central gorget patch. Allen's. " - Steve Cardiff

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Caley Thomas said:

This is what he said, in case it helps anybody: "Female Broad-tailed would have more of a pale face with an eyeing and lacking the dark line in front of the eye. Female Broad-tailed also typically have a more speckled (less whitish) throat and seldom have a central gorget patch. Allen's. " - Steve Cardiff

I think your eBird reviewer is right. I'm not good at hummingbird identification, honestly I really shouldn't have gotten involved in this.

• Thanks 1

also this follow up advice with a clarification to the first offered above-advice from Steve:

"There was a floating “Allen’s” and the end of my message that I forgot to trim off.  I was probably going to say that Rufous is orders of magnitude more likely but female Rufous and Allen’s are almost impossible to tell apart so most such birds should technically be listed as Rufous/Allen’s.  BUT, this bird looked like it had slightly “notched” rectrix #2 so I was OK with Rufous."

• Like 4