Whatbird Community

Colima Warbler? - Big Bend Nat'l. Park - Chisos Mtns. - Outer Mountain Loop - Brewster Co, TX - 7/24/21

Apparently I've seen Orchard's a few times so far, all this year, beginning in late spring in Port Aransas, TX and again in South Padre Island area, and then again in the summer at Choke Canyon SP (McMullen Co.) & Max Mandel Golf Course (extreme SW Texas along the Mexico border). Certainly haven't seen many though, and no where near where I live (DeWitt Co) either.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Caley Thomas said:

Apparently I've seen Orchard's a few times so far, all this year, beginning in late spring in Port Aransas, TX and again in South Padre Island area, and then again in the summer at Choke Canyon SP (McMullen Co.) & Max Mandel Golf Course (extreme SW Texas along the Mexico border). Certainly haven't seen many though, and no where near where I live (DeWitt Co) either.

The distribution map for orchard orioles in New York State is sad...I'll probably have to go elsewhere to see them.

https://ebird.org/science/status-and-trends/orcori/abundance-map

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Quiscalus quiscula said:

Well, I could drive for 22 hours, cycle for 128 hours, walk for 471 hours, or I could just take a plane to witchita, get there in 5 hours, and drive for 32 minutes.

It would only take you 5.3 days to get here by bike… :classic_tongue:

• Haha 3

49 minutes ago, Quiscalus quiscula said:

The distribution map for orchard orioles in New York State is sad...I'll probably have to go elsewhere to see them.

https://ebird.org/science/status-and-trends/orcori/abundance-map

I know of a fairly reliable place for Brown Thrasher and Orchard Oriole in Vermont on the New York border... And another place for Short-eared Owl in the winter...

• Like 4

54 minutes ago, Quiscalus quiscula said:

I'm not looking forward to a New York winter. Still, I have a few target birds I'd like to get that winter here.

Plenty of migrants wintering down here along the SC coast.  You'd rather be here than Kansas for the same reason the birds will be: warm and toasty!  All those shorebirds and waders can't be wrong!

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

5 minutes ago, Charlie Spencer said:

You'd rather be here than Kansas for the same reason the birds will be: warm and toasty! 

Wichita Kansas gets an average of 15 inches of snow a year. If you really want to be warm, come to costal California. Even as afar north as I am we get 0 snow and get days in the high 80s in January. 

• Like 3