Whatbird Community

As we say in the South, 'M R Ducks'

Acadia National Park, Maine.  Oct 2018.

They were just doing their duck thing a few hundred feet upstream from where this creek hit the beach.  I entered them as 'Duck sp.'; any definitive IDs are welcome but aren't expected.

Thanks!

1 Mallard?

image.png.360b5bf060df95b68e35cdc826598cd1.png

2a ? and 2b Mallard

image.png.cda9beac2f0961e5d62796e55a16858f.png

3a ? and 3b Mallard?

image.png.8f1d235962088aabfd623c01cc13c5c0.png

4 ?

image.png.61d833f62fb9d3e00c7e40566a5bff1c.png

5 minutes ago, The Bird Nuts said:

All of them look like American Black Ducks to me, but it might be better to report them as American Black Duck/Mallard since there is not much detail in the photos.

I'll take it.  That's certainly more accurate than 'sp.'.  I already had confirmed ABDU on that trip.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, The Bird Nuts said:

Well, yes, but I tried to use correct grammar so non-southerners could understand. 😉

Don’t worry, I’ve read a lot of southern talk in books (I’m reading “The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn for like the third time right now) so I can speak and understand the dialect pretty well.

• Haha 5

What part, when, and how long?  Were you a birder at that time?

I'm considering retiring in NC in a few years.  I'd love to be in Asheville but the cost of living is higher there.   I'll probably aim for somewhere closer to midway between mountains and beach.

3 minutes ago, Charlie Spencer said:

What part, when, and how long?  Were you a birder at that time?

I'm considering retiring in NC in a few years.  I'd love to be in Asheville but the cost of living is higher there.   I'll probably aim for somewhere closer to midway between mountains and beach.

I visited for about a month near Hendersonville. Unfortunately I wasn't a birder at that time.

• Sad 2

7 minutes ago, BlueJay said:

NC is the best state! Totally not biased or anything.

North Carolina's pretty nice, but New York State's better! We have the best bird habitat from the Adirondacks to the finger lakes region. We have lots of forest and border two great lakes and the atlantic ocean. Plus, Long island and central park are hotspots for migrating birds! Here in upstate new york, we have a central park too. The birds are not restricted to the city. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Quiscalus quiscula said:

North Carolina's pretty nice, but New York State's better! We have the best bird habitat from the Adirondacks to the finger lakes region. We have lots of forest and border two great lakes and the atlantic ocean. Plus, Long island and central park are hotspots for migrating birds! Here in upstate new york, we have a central park too. The birds are not restricted to the city. 

I was born and lived in upstate New York for about 5 years, and it was really nice. Very cold though!

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Quiscalus quiscula said:

You also have that frozen white stuff.  I don't use that four-letter word.

• Haha 6