Whatbird Community

As we say in the South, 'M R Ducks'

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, The Bird Nuts said:

You know what the four-letter code for Snowy Owl is?  SNOW

I'd doubt I'll ever have to worry about that.  I'll sully my mouth if I get to that point, then rinse liberally with alcoholic beverages.

Edited by Charlie Spencer
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Charlie Spencer said:

What part, when, and how long?  Were you a birder at that time?

I'm considering retiring in NC in a few years.  I'd love to be in Asheville but the cost of living is higher there.   I'll probably aim for somewhere closer to midway between mountains and beach.

I live midway and the birding is subpar.  (actually near the town of Midway) You have to travel 2-4 hours to see the good stuff.  Migration time is better but not as good as being on the ends of the state.  

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Spyonabird said:

I live midway and the birding is subpar.  (actually near the town of Midway) You have to travel 2-4 hours to see the good stuff.  Migration time is better but not as good as being on the ends of the state.  

That's informative.  I was giving the Research Triangle area some consideration.  I recall the podcaster for the ABA is in that area.

Still, I imagine the area is pretty similar to central SC as far as birding goes.  The beach and Upstate are 'better' than here, but I'll definitely have more time to travel, and cost of living will be a consideration.

Thanks!

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Charlie Spencer said:

That's informative.  I was giving the Research Triangle area some consideration.  I recall the podcaster for the ABA is in that area.

Still, I imagine the area is pretty similar to central SC as far as birding goes.  The beach and Upstate are 'better' than here, but I'll definitely have more time to travel, and cost of living will be a consideration.

Thanks!

Of course, you have to take what I say with a grain of salt.  I was born and raised in Pennsylvania in the shadow of Hawk Mountain Sanctuary.   Transplanted to NC in 2004. 

Not sure where we will retire. 

so many options...

so little money...

• Like 2
  • Haha 3