Whatbird Community

Crissal Thrasher (Audio Only)? - BBNP - Chisos Mtn. Basin - 7/23/21

Merlin Bird Audio ID suggested it but I'm not sure how much I can trust it just yet..sounds about right to me though. The one the app queued in on began at 32 seconds in, but I feel like I'm hearing it throughout the recording.  Black-headed Grosbeak also on the recording presumably, together with Mexican Jays, at the least.

Edited by Caley Thomas
audio disclaimer

• Caley Thomas changed the title to Crissal Thrasher (Audio Only)? - BBNP - Chisos Mtn. Basin - 7/23/21

Never mind on this.  ID'ing birds based off of audio only for the first time, when they are not nocturnal birds, seems like a cop out to me.  I will only reserve audio only IDs for nocturnal birds moving forward I think.  Makes it a bit more challenging and prolongs the excitement of the chase for me some more. 🙂

• Confused 2

40 minutes ago, Caley Thomas said:

I will only reserve audio only IDs for nocturnal birds moving forward I think. 

Why?? Vocalizations are an excellent way to ID birds! You don’t just want to leave it unidentified, do you??

• Like 4

Well, that's a good point, but I'm feeling conflicted because by leaving some out that I didn't get to actually see, I allow myself more opportunities to return to BBNP to get it done, which is my most favorite place (even without and before the birding) in Texas.  I went crazy on the audio files with Merlin this trip, though, and since the cell coverage is spotty at best up there, the app had no idea where I was and was throwing out all types of wild guesses that couldn't possibly be right during these "outage" periods without service.  That, coupled with my limited experience, leaves quite the sordid mess to work out, and I'm also a bit leery to overburden this page to work it all out.  Lastly, although free programs shouldn't be fairly critiqued too hard in my opinion, I'm having to send each of them to my email, then download from there, in order to obtain .wav format files instead of the little crappy .amr files that I've posted thus far.  So yeah, daunting task and conflicted with the potential de-motivation to return for photos once "checked off" the life list.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Caley Thomas said:

Well, that's a good point, but I'm feeling conflicted because by leaving some out that I didn't get to actually see, I allow myself more opportunities to return to BBNP to get it done, which is my most favorite place (even without and before the birding) in Texas.  I went crazy on the audio files with Merlin this trip, though, and since the cell coverage is spotty at best up there, the app had no idea where I was and was throwing out all types of wild guesses that couldn't possibly be right during these "outage" periods without service.  That, coupled with my limited experience, leaves quite the sordid mess to work out, and I'm also a bit leery to overburden this page to work it all out.  Lastly, although free programs shouldn't be fairly critiqued too hard in my opinion, I'm having to send each of them to my email, then download from there, in order to obtain .wav format files instead of the little crappy .amr files that I've posted thus far.  So yeah, daunting task and conflicted with the potential de-motivation to return for photos once "checked off" the life list.

Ok, that’s fair. I count heard only birds on my life list. But if you want to only include them , if you see it, that’s fine. 

• Like 4

I wanted to throw my $.02 in on this since I have been having similar situations.

When we do out of state family vacation time my "birding" is hiking someplace with 3 kids that don't want to stand around while dad stakes out some bushes for 15 minutes.

If I hear or see something I do a quick check with binoculars.  If I can see the bird and I can't identify it I will go for some quick photos.

If I can hear the bird, and not see it, and I do not recognize it then I do a recording with birdnet.  I save the recordings and use the analyze feature later when the kids are in bed and I can use wifi.  If birdnet gives me a result of something I did not see that day then I will start digging deeper.  I can email the recording to myself and use the birdnet website which is better than the app.  If I am still getting a 100% from birdnet for a bird I did not see and it sounds good comparing it to sounds on Macaulay I will check ebird to see if the bird was seen recently at that location.

I just did this for Green-tailed Towhee near Fort Collins:

Got good recording -> birdnet gave a 100% for Green-tailed Towhee when analyzed later ->  To my ear it sounded correct comparing to online recordings ->  This species had been seen at that location multiple times in the last week.

It was not a life bird but I did put it on my checklist for that day.

• Like 5

Birding is just for fun, you don't have to sign anything in blood, and there is no million dollar prize.

You can count or not count whatever you want for your personal list. 

On eBird you need to do things different. We will say you heard something rare and you are sure of what it is, but you didn't see it. You should go a head and report it to eBird if you know what it is. That does not mean you have to count it on you life list, if you don't want. Now we will say you heard a Red-tailed Hawk, but you don't want to report it, fine, don't, probably no is coming to chase a Red-tail. But be sure to check the "no" on the "are you reporting all the spices you were able to identify?"

So in other words:

1. Count what you want on your personal life list.

2. Try to be as accurate on eBird as you can. If you don't want to count on your own list, don't, but go a head and report it to eBird. And let others have a chance at seeing it and help eBird/the scientist who are trying to track birds, see how they are increasing/declining, etc.

• Like 4

I want to point out that including heard-only species on complete checklists is not only encouraged but required:

“Include in your list

• Birds you hear or see - as long as you were able to confidently identify the bird, you should enter it regardless of whether you heard or saw it. If you only report the birds you saw, mark your checklist incomplete.”

https://support.ebird.org/en/support/solutions/articles/48000795623-ebird-rules-and-best-practices

So please do not leave these birds off of your checklists! But as others have already said, your personal life list is up to you. If you don’t want to consider them lifers, no one is forcing you to.  You don’t have to let eBird decide your life list. 

Edited by Colton V
  • Like 3