Whatbird Community

Odd Looking Black-capped Chickadee

We have noticed a Black-capped chickadee in our yard but instead of the normal black cap, he has a brown cap. 

We found an article that talks about a variation in Black-capped chickadees but we would love to get your opinions.

https://www.birds.cornell.edu/crows/brown-headed chickadee.htm

We live in Council Bluffs, IA. We first noticed him in June. He visits our feeders multiple times daily. He acts and sounds like the other black-capped chickadees.

IMG-8957.JPG

IMG-0679.jpg

IMG-0678.JPG

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Seanbirds said:

Agreed, but what’s with the brown cap, I wonder?

Seems to be a rare color variation. The brown cap recalls boreal chickadee, but obviously it isn't because boreal wouldn't have white edges, would have brown flanks and a great number of other distinguishing characteristics. Indeed an odd chickadee.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Seanbirds said:

This is probably a rare thing. Sibley Birds East 2016 says that they rarely visit bird feeders and are more antisocial than other chickadees.

• Thanks 1

Thank you everyone for the conversation about our odd looking chickadee. 

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but my husband and I only began birding about a year ago. If indeed this is rare variation in a black-capped chickadee, is there somewhere that we should report it? Orchard 

• Like 3

21 hours ago, kdoty said:

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but my husband and I only began birding about a year ago. If indeed this is rare variation in a black-capped chickadee, is there somewhere that we should report it?

ebird is a great place where you can submit your bird sightings. I’m afraid though, that rare color variations are often ignored because eBird doesn’t have any way to highlight them and get them noticed yet. If it indeed turned out to be a Black-capped Chickadee  x Boreal Chickadee hybrid, that would definitely be something out of the ordinary, and a lot more people would see it reported.

• Like 2

Please let’s stop suggesting hybrid chickadees. This is almost certainly a unusual Black-capped. There’s no reason to jump to such an extreme conclusion when there is no evidence to support that conclusion. It is not very unusual for some individuals of a species to be aberrant in one regard or another, just because they aren’t a perfect carbon copy of other individuals of the species does not mean they are a different species or a hybrid

• Like 6

8 minutes ago, AlexHenry said:

Please let’s stop suggesting hybrid chickadees. This is almost certainly a unusual Black-capped. There’s no reason to jump to such an extreme conclusion when there is no evidence to support that conclusion. It is not very unusual for some individuals of a species to be aberrant in one regard or another, just because they aren’t a perfect carbon copy of other individuals of the species does not mean they are a different species or a hybrid

Alright. Thanks for clearing this up.

• Like 1