Whatbird Community

Fall Migration 2021

First snowfall yesterday brought with it my first northern shrike of the year this morning. He was hanging out with a bunch of Robins, really weird. 
Gadwalls went down from 21 to 8 due to the ponds freezing. Don’t know how much longer they’ll stick around. 

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, PaulK said:

On a wander in my neighbourhood this afternoon I saw hermit and varied thrush, white-throated, fox, and Lincoln's sparrows, and the ground was covered by a thick carpet of juncos.

Oh, including a cismontanus junco

• Like 6

On 10/8/2021 at 11:16 PM, Colton V said:

I’ll said you east-coasters all the white-crowned sparrows you want if you send me a white-throated sparrow. If there’s one bird I would truly consider a nemesis it would be that one. I should be able to get it this winter though. 

You seem to be getting stuff a few days to a week later than I am. I've seen WTSP twice in the last two days, keep an eye on the mixed sparrow flocks!

On 10/13/2021 at 7:25 PM, Peromyscus said:

I saw an Eastern Phoebe while fast-walking through a nearby park this afternoon (in Maryland). Also about 3 Chimney Swifts, 4 Common Green Darners, and what seemed to be a Swamp Darner.

This afternoon on another fast walk through the same park, I head a Golden-crowned Kinglet (first of the fall) and saw two Cloudless Sulphurs (last of the fall?).

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Avery said:

The flock of warblers outside my dorm room is still here, including 3/4 of the Cape Mays. Plus, yesterday and today they were joined by a Wilson's Warbler!

Tell him to come see me! I know it's a bit out of the way, but he'd be hard pressed to find a birder happier to see him than me.

• Like 3