Whatbird Community

Fall Migration 2021

4 hours ago, Seanbirds said:

Don’t feel bad, they’re supposed to be breeders here as well and I only ever see them in migration.

I don’t know if this is true where you live, but here in Portland they can only be found in a specific habitat in the summer: the cottonwood forests in the Columbia River floodplains. Outside of breeding season they can show up anywhere, including my backyard. Again, I don’t know how it is where you live, but maybe you just haven’t been in the right habitat?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Colton V said:

I don’t know if this is true where you live, but here in Portland they can only be found in a specific habitat in the summer: the cottonwood forests in the Columbia River floodplains. Outside of breeding season they can show up anywhere, including my backyard. Again, I don’t know how it is where you live, but maybe you just haven’t been in the right habitat?

I don't know, I've see them by a river, and then I've seen them in a pretty dry park both during the breeding season.

Edited by Quiscalus quiscula

1 hour ago, Quiscalus quiscula said:

I don't know, I've see them by a river, and then I've seen them in a pretty dry park both during the breeding season.

I don’t think they necessarily prefer water, I think they prefer cottonwood trees (at least in my area) and those trees prefer water. The cottonwoods where I live do often grow away from water but the most extensive cottonwood forests we have are located in the floodplains along the river. So maybe if we had some cottonwood forests away from rivers there would be YEWAs there too but all of our cottonwood forests are near water. 

Or maybe I don’t know what I’m talking about and YEWAs don’t care about cottonwoods, but that’s the only habitat I’ve seen them in during the breeding season. This is all speculation from limited experience on my part. 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Colton V said:

I don’t think they necessarily prefer water, I think they prefer cottonwood trees (at least in my area) and those trees prefer water. The cottonwoods where I live do often grow away from water but the most extensive cottonwood forests we have are located in the floodplains along the river. So maybe if we had some cottonwood forests away from rivers there would be YEWAs there too but all of our cottonwood forests are near water. 

Ah, that must be it. I'm hardly ever around cottonwoods.

1 hour ago, Colton V said:

Or maybe I don’t know what I’m talking about and YEWAs don’t care about cottonwoods, but that’s the only habitat I’ve seen them in during the breeding season. This is all speculation from limited experience on my part. 

I've actually never seen a YEWA in a cottonwood.