Whatbird Community

Fall Migration 2021

2 minutes ago, The Bird Nuts said:

Soon they'll be the only warbler you can find.  They're the last warbler to leave, I think.

Apparently they are non-migrator to partial in NYS, but it's pretty cold here upstate so they'll probably move into the southern half of the state. Some Yellow-rumped warblers spotted today, and they seem to be relatively common here from eBird reports, so hopefully I'll find some soon.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Quiscalus quiscula said:

Apparently they are non-migrator to partial in NYS, but it's pretty cold here upstate so they'll probably move into the southern half of the state. Some Yellow-rumped warblers spotted today, and they seem to be relatively common here from eBird reports, so hopefully I'll find some soon.

If your in upstate NY then they should be everywhere you see warblers starting now. Listen for their call note, as it's recognizable.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, meghann said:

Today's warbler list:

Pine

Black-and-white

Magnolia

Hooded

Am. Redstart

Chat

Parula

North. Waterthrush

AND BLUE-WINGED (so excited about this one, it's a state bird for me, and first time I've ever seen one instead of hearing it.)

Also had a ton of vireos.

Congrats! Quick PSA on the Winged Warblers. DO NOT TRUST THEIR SONG!!! Especially if they are in an area where they are known to hybridize a lot (like VT, don't know where else they do it a lot). I have seen pure birds singing "their" song, then the others, then some weird variation.

That said, I don't know if they stick to their own songs where they don't hybridize extensively. I only have experience in areas where the species complex is completely unreliable in every way on their breeding grounds.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Avery said:

Congrats! Quick PSA on the Winged Warblers. DO NOT TRUST THEIR SONG!!! Especially if they are in an area where they are known to hybridize a lot (like VT, don't know where else they do it a lot). I have seen pure birds singing "their" song, then the others, then some weird variation.

That said, I don't know if they stick to their own songs where they don't hybridize extensively. I only have experience in areas where the species complex is completely unreliable in every way on their breeding grounds.

Pretty sure I was safe assuming Blue-winged in Missouri from the song. Especially because it was summer. (Not that I wouldn't be happy to add a hybrid to the life list, just don't think there was a chance it was.)

missouri winged warblers.png

• Like 1

Up here, warbler migration is pretty much past its peak. I don’t really expect to see anything too interesting in the warbler world anymore, but I’m still hoping for something to surprise me.

A few weeks ago I was finding Magnolia, Orange-crowned, Tennesse, Yellow, Blackpoll, redstarts, + warbling & red-eyed vireos, and least flycatchers. 
It has frosted a few times, and gone below  or at zero already so I don’t blame them for leaving. 

Now it’s mainly Wilson’s and I’ve noticed an uptick in YRWA over the last few days. Ruby-crowned kinglets, White-crowned Sparrows, and White-throated sparrows are also pretty numerous. Robins are still travelling around in massive flocks and I did hear a Pipit fly over my house the other day. 

I haven’t really been anywhere this month that hasn’t been within walking distance of my house, so there’s plenty that I’ve missed. Prime warbler season seems to be the last 2 weeks of August and I somehow always manage to be away at that time every year. 

However, based on last year and the year before, there does seem to be less warblers around. It was a terrible year for choke cherries in my community so maybe that has had a role. 

• Like 3

I was just away for about a week and in that time it's suddenly fall: the song sparrows are back in numbers, the spotted towhees are around, the golden-crowned and fox sparrows have returned. I need to poke around my patch to see if there are kinglets. Sadly this probably means the flycatchers and tanagers are done too. But an orange-crowned and a Black-throated Grey in my patch today which was fun.

Edited by PaulK
  • Like 4

Excellent weekend here with really good warbler numbers, especially on Sunday.  Checklist doesn't look that great though as I put 20 warbler sp. on there.  I swear the trees were hiding inter dimensional wormholes.  The warblers fly in, and then disappear into the trees..never to be seen and ID'ed.  

I have my best September so far at 114, and 12 FOY birds in September have me up to 205, 1 short of my best year.  

• Like 6