Whatbird Community

Fall Migration 2021

2 minutes ago, PaulK said:

I didn't realize Merlins were migratory. As usual looked at a map and realized it's another species in our little "all seasons - uncommon" bubble here.

Yes, they’re not terribly rare here in the summer but a lot more common in the winter. 

• Like 3

This morning I played hooky again, and went to the nearby big park. I saw a Red-headed Woodpecker fly high overhead, and had a brief view of what appeared to be a Yellow-bellied Sapsucker flying low and not overhead. There was a Ruby-crowned Kinglet in a tree; I only saw three warblers (2 redstarts and a Black-throated Green), but the two Rose-breasted Grosbeaks, one an adult male, hanging out together made up for the lack of parulids. It was cool, calm, and sunny.

• Like 4

19 hours ago, Peromyscus said:

This morning I played hooky again, and went to the nearby big park. I saw a Red-headed Woodpecker fly high overhead, and had a brief view of what appeared to be a Yellow-bellied Sapsucker flying low and not overhead. There was a Ruby-crowned Kinglet in a tree; I only saw three warblers (2 redstarts and a Black-throated Green), but the two Rose-breasted Grosbeaks, one an adult male, hanging out together made up for the lack of parulids. It was cool, calm, and sunny.

Redstarts!!! I might be going to a nearby place that is supposed to be good for warblers, though, so I just might get one.

• Like 2