Whatbird Community

House Finch or Purple Finch

Taken today, August 6, Lynn Point Road, Nemah, WA (it's a random hotspot).

Purple will be a new bird for me, having just moved here, but it doesn't strike me as a House due to the facial markings. Granted the light isn't very friendly here, and as much as I would love my first Purple Finch to actually be....well...purple, I figured I wanted to at least get it IDd correctly even if it isn't a male with nice coloring.

Thank you!

2021%2008%2006%20Lynn%20Point%20Rd%20Nem

1 hour ago, RobinHood said:

My first reaction early this morning was Purple.

I did a quick brightening (hope the OP is OK with this). Appears to have the weak crescent below the eye mentioned in Sibley?

West coast birders? Purples are a little different out there.

Finch WhatBird-.jpg

It looks like Purple to me. Not a west coast birder, but I know western birds quite well because my first guidebook was of western US.

• Confused 1

21 minutes ago, Quiscalus quiscula said:

It looks like Purple to me. Not a west coast birder, but I know western birds quite well because my first guidebook was of western US.

I used to live in Arizona, that's why. Weirdly, I stuck with the western guidebook, probably because I didn't have much else. So I started birding with a bird book for the west and kept with it for quite some time.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, The Bird Nuts said:

I'm seeing young Purple Finch here.  Head shape is spot-on and it has a straight culmen.  More photos might help.

My first thought was Purple also and for the same reason. It looks like maybe molt has deadened the facial pattern one tends to look for on a Purple female.

• Like 2