Whatbird Community

least sandpiper

2 hours ago, Seanbirds said:

Unfortunately, I don’t think we’re able to tell anything from these photos.

yeah, the sp looked better through the scope lol, my dinky camera gets by on the best of days... and on days like today... not so much

that said, in the 'white bird' photo, we can see a few things, yellowish legs, black tip on bill, all white wader. how many birds could that be? even if you discount the bill, the leg and body color should narrow it down drastically, right? the only issue i see that might arise is its size, which you cant see well in this pic (even the uncropped dont give proper perspective), but at first, as it was flying, i thought it was a gull from far away. no where near the size of a great egret. given that, what are my options?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, insanityslave said:

yeah, the sp looked better through the scope lol, my dinky camera gets by on the best of days... and on days like today... not so much

that said, in the 'white bird' photo, we can see a few things, yellowish legs, black tip on bill, all white wader. how many birds could that be? even if you discount the bill, the leg and body color should narrow it down drastically, right? the only issue i see that might arise is its size, which you cant see well in this pic (even the uncropped dont give proper perspective), but at first, as it was flying, i thought it was a gull from far away. no where near the size of a great egret. given that, what are my options?

I think you're right with little blue heron, shape looks right. I'm not as sure on least sandpiper, but I think least is most likely, as I see greenish-yellow legs even in the grainy photo.

• Like 1

Yes, but the picture is very overexposed, and it is difficult to accurately discern the bird's leg and bill color. Although it looks better for a LBH,  I could see this as both a Snowy Egret or Little Blue Heron.

The peep is indeed Least.

Edited by Bird-Boys
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Bird-Boys said:

Yes, but the picture is very overexposed, and it is difficult to accurately discern the bird's leg and bill color. Although it looks better for a LBH,  I could see this as both a Snowy Egret or Little Blue Heron.

The peep is indeed Least.

I don't see how you can confirm Least Sandpiper by leg color, as that photo is also grainy, and question leg and bill color for the heron/egret. I'm confused.