Jump to content
Whatbird Community

Recommended Posts

I saw a large bird in a tree and stopped to take a photo for IDing later. A woman also stopped to see what I was looking at. I said it was probably a red-tail hawk. She took a look and said that it was a rough-legged hawk (which would have been really cool). I asked how she could ID it so I would know for future. She said that someone had pointed one out to her in the same area a few days earlier so she just knew, and then pointed out it had feathers on the legs. hmmmmm. <insert head-scratch here>.

I think it is a red-tail.

Taken today south end of Whitby near the lake.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10155722817130009&amp;type=1&amp;l=76d0c6aa9d

Thanks in advance

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, it's a Red-tailed Hawk.  No Rough-legged Hawk would have a solid light brown head like that.  Roughies are also smaller, so they have different proportions than Red-taileds and they have smaller beaks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, The Bird Nuts said:

Yes, it's a Red-tailed Hawk.  No Rough-legged Hawk would have a solid light brown head like that.  Roughies are also smaller, so they have different proportions than Red-taileds and they have smaller beaks.

I knew it!!!!

And that is why I want photo proof of everything I've seen  🙂

I sometimes wonder how accurate some sightings are.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Toronto BlueJay said:

She said that someone had pointed one out to her in the same area a few days earlier so she just knew,

I saw a Chevy Suburban in a handicapped space at Wal-mart.  That doesn't mean every vehicle I'll ever see in that space is a Suburban.  :classic_blink:

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Charlie Spencer said:

I saw a Chevy Suburban in a handicapped space at Wal-mart.  That doesn't mean every vehicle I'll ever see in that space is a Suburban.  :classic_blink:

That's when I became very suspicious that her info "may" not be exactly accurate.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...