Whatbird Community

Similar to a Mockingbird?

Yesterday I saw two birds that look very similar to a Northern Mockingbird. One was perched on a power line and the other on a high branch of a nearby tree. They were the same size as a Mockingbird and similar in shape and color but slightly plumper in body and the head seemed slightly more elongated with a slightly longer bill. Also the plumage seemed slighyly ruffled whereas Mockingbird plumage is smooth. Mockingbirds are very common in my area and they have a habit of moving around often. These to birds did not move at all for the five or so minutes I watched them. Also they maid only soft chirps wheras Mockingbirds  aways seem to be sing a song.

I am wondering if these were a species I am not familiar with or if two unusual Mockingbirds.

13 minutes ago, lather said:

Yesterday I saw two birds that look very similar to a Northern Mockingbird. One was perched on a power line and the other on a high branch of a nearby tree. They were the same size as a Mockingbird and similar in shape and color but slightly plumper in body and the head seemed slightly more elongated with a slightly longer bill. Also the plumage seemed slighyly ruffled whereas Mockingbird plumage is smooth. Mockingbirds are very common in my area and they have a habit of moving around often. These to birds did not move at all for the five or so minutes I watched them. Also they maid only soft chirps wheras Mockingbirds  aways seem to be sing a song.

I am wondering if these were a species I am not familiar with or if two unusual Mockingbirds.

It's common for Mocks to sit on lines for several minutes.  It's also common for them to chirp or call without singing, especially when they aren't breeding.  And many birds can appear larger or smaller, depending on how they fluff their feathers.

In other words, these sound like good ol' everyday regular Northern Mockingbirds.

Edited by Charlie Spencer
  • Like 4

11 hours ago, chipperatl said:

I was going to suggest maybe Loggerhead Shrike,

We don't have a location yet, so NOSH would also be a possibility.  As you noted, neither would have a longer bill.  I would hope that someone paying enough attention to notice a different bill size would also have pointed out the obvious mask on a shrike.

Edited by Charlie Spencer
  • Like 3