Whatbird Community

What bird is this? (Which egret)

We saw this egret in Craven County, NC.  Which specific egret it is would be my question. It was in a quarried area that is now filling with shallow water and growing wetland plants.  Obviously it's either a great egret or snowy egret.  It appears to be perhaps immature. We saw a white, juvenile little blue heron nearby. There were 2 of the birds standing on a rock pile.  Thank you much.   

IMG_7099.JPG

IMG_7100.jpg

IMG_7073.jpg

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Quiscalus quiscula said:

My first impression as well, probably caused by the coiled neck. But Cattle Egrets would usually have a yellow bill, I believe.

I didn't realize that Snowy Egret could have yellow legs when young, which really threw me off track when added to the way the egrets were standing.

Guess I've learned something new!

• Like 5

24 minutes ago, Aidan B said:

I didn't realize that Snowy Egret could have yellow legs when young, which really threw me off track when added to the way the egrets were standing.

For some reason I had ingrained in my mind that Great Egrets always had yellow legs 🙄. I was very confused when I was looking for young birds. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Aidan B said:

Leg, bill, and lore color is very variable on juvenile Snowy Egrets. Some Snowy Egret juveniles can look almost exactly like juvenile Little Blue Herons (except lacking dark primary tips) and some can look a lot like Cattle Egrets. Here’s an example of a juvenile Snowy Egret with leg color more like a juvenile Little Blue. 

5DE42699-5654-461E-A5FF-B29E4309104D.thumb.jpeg.b5659563ff3bee3e77050acc7a4a948f.jpeg

73466951-E177-47D0-8E6F-EB79D6E14D58.thumb.jpeg.cd5022cf6215df0e7f416eae8e597d94.jpeg

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Jerry Friedman said:

I have trouble when they're so young they don't have yellow lores yet.  This was July 30, 2014.  As I recall, people here convinced me that it wasn't a Little Blue.  (Caution: bad pictures ahead.)

egretsclose08crop.jpg

egretsclose05crop.jpg

egretsclose01crop.jpg

I’m not sure about that one, the bill and lores look a lot like a Little Blue, but I don’t see dark primary tips (the wing is folded though so that would be difficult to see). It very well could be a Snowy and probably is one but I’m not certain

• Like 4