Whatbird Community

Arizona Birds

Hello.  2 birds in question.

1)  I listed this bird as Gilded Flicked and ebird classified it as rare so I would like a second opinion.  From 8/2 along Oak Creek in Cornville which is near Cottonwood.DSC01608r.thumb.jpg.57c51517dc2d186460aeaf80e7d32125.jpgDSC01615r.thumb.jpg.0e8873b2f13d66f0bf378eaa6be6e60d.jpg

2)  From 8/6 in the same location.  30 feet up in the canopy near the creek.  There were plenty of Summer Tanagers around but I thought this looked like Hepatic.  Thoughts?DSC01888r.thumb.jpg.6f7a85f964b9e1a45644d55ca698a580.jpgDSC01899r.thumb.jpg.c024860866de791b1875f62e6f0a20f5.jpg

Thanks!

Edited by Mark5

Just now, Seanbirds said:

I respectfully disagree for the reasons above.

I think that this is a Gilded Flicker because of the oval breast patch and brown extending farther back on the nape.

8 hours ago, Aidan B said:

Wait for a second opinion, but I'm pretty sure number one is a Northern Flicker, as it has orange, not yellow shafts.

Two looks like a Summer Tanager to me.

I wasn't aware that there is any difference in the malar color between Gilded and Northern Flickers. Could you clarify that?

I'm still wavering between the two flicker species, as some aspects point to gilded and a few point to Northern as well.

• Like 1

Just now, Seanbirds said:

“Shafts” don’t refer to the malar. It’s the color under the wings and tail.

Okay, thanks. How much can we really see of the shafts from the picture, though? It's probably northern flicker if eBird listed gilded as rare, as it's almost never recorded outside of its range. Also, does anyone else see a leg band in the first picture?

6 minutes ago, Seanbirds said:

“Shafts” don’t refer to the malar. It’s the color under the wings and tail.

Not quite.  A shaft is what goes down the middle of a feather.  It can be seen from the top and underneath.  We can see the feather shafts on the tail in the OP's bird and they are orange.

• Like 5