Whatbird Community

Is it ok to put your feeders back up?

7 minutes ago, kansabirdguy said:

any thoughts?

Because of where my house and yard are located, I wait to put out my feeders until after the bears are likely to have headed for the hills.  I do occasionally see migrants moving through the woods out back, but I don't try to entice them to feeders.  I think there is plenty of food for them elsewhere, but I have to seek them out if I want to see them.

For a somewhat different perspective, this was posted on our local listserve,  I'm not trying to start an argument here, but is is something to think about.   https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2021/aug/25/feeding-birds-garden-boost-dominant-species

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JP48 said:

Because of where my house and yard are located, I wait to put out my feeders until after the bears are likely to have headed for the hills.  I do occasionally see migrants moving through the woods out back, but I don't try to entice them to feeders.  I think there is plenty of food for them elsewhere, but I have to seek them out if I want to see them.

For a somewhat different perspective, this was posted on our local listserve,  I'm not trying to start an argument here, but is is something to think about.   https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2021/aug/25/feeding-birds-garden-boost-dominant-species

Interesting article. More of a British perspective, but probably still applicable. We no longer have feeders because the squirrels were eating more of the feed, but it does not seem to have negatively impacted the birds I see in the yard, except that I have not seen any Grosbeaks yet this year. This article left me wondering what impact Hummingbird feeders have. I wonder if it would have a less negative impact, as it is more specialized.

22 hours ago, JP48 said:

"Human-provided food is now such an important part of the diets of some species that it can provide up to 75% of their daily intake"

Maybe in Britain but most numbers I've seen for NA say 20% to 30%.

• Like 1

On 8/19/2021 at 11:19 AM, kansabirdguy said:

when would you folks advise putting them up to get the most migratory and winter birds?

Other than during disease alerts, I leave my sunflower, suet, and peanut feeders up all year.  I take the hummingbird feeders down in October and replace them with nyger feeders; in March, i swap them back.  During active breeding I may (or may not) put out some mealworms.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1