Whatbird Community

Foot-hill ish birds

That first bird is confusing me. I don't think it's a finch but I don't know what it is instead. Streaking looks too fine and busy for a house finch (and the bird looks too lanky) but I don't think a Cassin's would have the streaking all the way down to the undertail like this. I was thinking it looks thrushy but really don't know.

(Or it's a finch.)

1 hour ago, MichaelLong said:

🤨🗣️🐄🐦

For those who might be confused ( @Charlie Spencer), this is Gen Z language. Note the lack of any punctuation, or any actual letters. These four images, known as “emojis” can each represent many different ideas, based on the context of their usage. In this instance, @MichaelLongis conveying agreement for the ID given for the bird in the first pictures. The direct translation of this string of emojis is “Brow Head Cow Bird”, which roughly translates into “Brown-headed Cowbird”

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 7

6 minutes ago, Avery said:

For those who might be confused ( @Charlie Spencer), this is Gen Z language. Note the lack of any punctuation, or any actual letters. These four images, known as “emojis” can each represent many different ideas, based on the context of their usage. In this instance, @MichaelLongis conveying agreement for the ID given for the bird in the first pictures. The direct translation of this string of emojis is “Brow Head Cow Bird”, which roughly translates into “Brown-headed Cowbird”

So in other words: Modern picture writing.

• Like 1

"Brow"?  Other than making bird puns, in what context would this be used?

I'll take y'all's word the second one is a head.  I couldn't figure out what the symbol was.  What the two circles on the right side are supposed to represent?

From a lack of experience, I tried to interpret this too literally.  I couldn't figure out what a 'Cow Cardinal' was.  Eagles, turkeys, ducks, and other birds are in the emoji set here; would using one of them have translated the same way?  Why the cardinal over them?  (I would have had the same translation issue regardless.)

• Like 1

I haven't had much reason to use emojis because I usually spell out the concepts others use them to represent.  I know how to type, I use a full-sized physical keyboard, and I don't text message.  I don't say this to pass judgement; it's just I've never needed little icons developed mostly for communications via cumbersome mobile keyboards.

Now there's so many of them, I'm put off by the notion of wading through them to find any specific one I want.  I mostly use the same handful - big grin, laugh, tongue out, confused, wink.  They're the same ones I used back when they were ASCII 'emoticons', and the keystroke sequences are the same now as then.

Edited by Charlie Spencer
  • Like 4

6 minutes ago, Charlie Spencer said:

I haven't had much reason to use emojis because I usually spell out the concepts others use them to represent.  I know how to type, I use a full-sized physical keyboard, and I don't text message.  I don't say this to pass judgement; it's just I've never needed little icons developed mostly for communications via cumbersome mobile keyboards.

Now there's so many of them, I'm put off by the notion of wading through them to find any specific one I want.  I mostly use the same handful - big grin, laugh, tongue out, confused, wink.  They're the same ones I used back when they were ASCII 'emoticons', and the keystroke sequences are the same now as then.

I agree. I wouldn't even use emojis in my posts here if there wasn't an option, as I'm typing on a chromebook.