Whatbird Community

Ducks and Yellowlegs

2 minutes ago, Birding Boy said:

I would lean towards Lesser with the yellowlegs, but wait for more opinions

I think I can see a pale base to the bill on the bird. It also seems large when compared to the duck on the right side of the photo

Edited by Aidan B
  • Like 5

10 minutes ago, Aidan B said:

I think I can see a pale base to the bill on the bird. It also seems large when compared to the duck on the right side of the photo

@Aidan B @Birding Boy Here is a pic with all 3 birds, if it helps;  I was shooting through greenery, so bird in question is poorly focused: 981213580_DSC07304ed2-Copy.thumb.jpg.77ec191864a5a36953c33d74e9e84e16.jpg

Edited by floraphile

1 hour ago, Birding Boy said:

Agree with #1

I would lean towards Lesser with the yellowlegs, but wait for more opinions

1 hour ago, Aidan B said:

Blue-winged Teal and Greater Yellowlegs is correct!

I know I probably shouldn’t be talking here, but what rules out Solitary?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Seanbirds said:

I know I probably shouldn’t be talking here, but what rules out Solitary?

I've spent a while going back and forth between the two species, as I can see it as a Solitary or a Greater Yellowlegs. My main issue with Solitary is the size, in my understanding, (I've only seen one Solitary Sandpiper and it was not great views) they're not much larger than a Spotted Sandpiper, and certainly smaller than a Blue-winged Teal. This bird just seems too large, although the Size could be distorted by the photo. Everything else about this bird does seem to point to Solitary though, a dark back contrasting with a very light belly, dull greenish-yellow legs, a strong eyering, very pale base to bill, and the general impression I get of the body shape. In conclusion, I do think this is a Solitary Sandpiper, although the size does confuse me a little. I guess my lack of experience with the species made this a really hard ID for me! 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Aidan B said:

I've spent a while going back and forth between the two species, as I can see it as a Solitary or a Greater Yellowlegs. My main issue with Solitary is the size, in my understanding, (I've only seen one Solitary Sandpiper and it was not great views) they're not much larger than a Spotted Sandpiper, and certainly smaller than a Blue-winged Teal. This bird just seems too large, although the Size could be distorted by the photo. Everything else about this bird does seem to point to Solitary though, a dark back contrasting with a very light belly, dull greenish-yellow legs, a strong eyering, very pale base to bill, and the general impression I get of the body shape. In conclusion, I do think this is a Solitary Sandpiper, although the size does confuse me a little. I guess my lack of experience with the species made this a really hard ID for me! 

@Aidan B @Seanbirds--Interestingly enough, a day or two earlier, I did not have by bins or camera as we drove by and I saw a similarly-shaped sandpiper that was bobbling it's entire head/front of body (no bobbing of tail like with Spotted) and I ID'd it as a Solitary on shape & behavior.  The day I took this photo, I had my equipment and immediately jumped to Yellowlegs sp. when I saw the, well, yellow legs.  I did not see any bobbing that day.  Also, there were 2 sandpipers of similar shape & proportion the day I took the photo, if 2 counts as "gregarious".  I'm not certain if the bird in the photo is the same one I saw and ID'd earlier as a Solitary, but perhaps it was, based on your expert opinions.  Thoughts?

Edited by floraphile
typo

Most recent set of photos:

First bird.  I like Greater.  The legs look indisputably yellow (to me).

Second bird, Solitary.  Those underparts are very clean.  Also, while I realize the full range of the bird's behavior isn't captured in these shots, what we do have shows this bird remaining in relatively shallow water.

But what the heck do I know?

Edited by Charlie Spencer
  • Like 7

8 hours ago, Charlie Spencer said:

Most recent set of photos:

First bird.  I like Greater.  The legs look indisputably yellow (to me).

Second bird, Solitary.  Those underparts are very clean.  Also, while I realize the full range of the bird's behavior isn't captured in these shots, what we do have shows this bird remaining in relatively shallow water.

But what the heck do I know?

I'm in agreement with this

• Like 3

The first bird is a Solitary for me for the reasons posted by Aidan above. The back is spotted vs. the mottled look of GRYE. The leg color is within range for Solitary and the bill shape suggests Solitary as well. The bird is behind the teal in the photo and therefore appears slightly larger than it would if they were side by side.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Seanbirds said:

I believe that all sandpipers in this topic are Solitaries. Who agrees with me?

Yes, I concur. Both birds have a prominent eyering, greenish legs, and a short bill with a pale base.

ID aside, where in Baldwin County did you see these? I used to live up near Bay Minette, at a TNC house on the Splinter Hill Bog Sanctuary.

• Like 3

It has to be Solitary.

• Yellowlegs never have that strong of an eyering. ever. 
  • Leg color of Solitary Sandpiper is variable.
  • Also, a diagnostic feature that I think is forgotten too often is that the base of the upper mandible is green. SOSAs can, on occasion, have an all dark bill, but           Green base to upper mandible = Solitary Sandpiper.
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, Liam said:

Yes, I concur. Both birds have a prominent eyering, greenish legs, and a short bill with a pale base.

ID aside, where in Baldwin County did you see these? I used to live up near Bay Minette, at a TNC house on the Splinter Hill Bog Sanctuary.

Splinter Hill Bog is a definitely a good place to see Bachman's Sparrows.  I am intrigued.  Are you from the area, or were you staying there as a researcher?

The sandpipers were seen in the Fairhope/Point Clear area--southwest Baldwin, 1-2 miles from Mobile Bay--in a small seasonal pond/mudflat within a large agricultural plot, that is mini-magnet for migratory birds.  

Edited by floraphile
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, floraphile said:

Splinter Hill Bog is a definitely a good place to see Bachman's Sparrows.  I am intrigued.  Are you from the area, or were you staying there as a researcher?

The sandpipers were seen in the Fairhope/Point Clear area--southwest Baldwin, 1-2 miles from Mobile Bay--in a small seasonal pond/mudflat within a large agricultural plot, that is mini-magnet for migratory birds.  

The seasonal pond definitely sounds like Solitary habitat.

• Like 1