Whatbird Community

Sparrow?

Fascinating conversation. Size is notoriously difficult to determine, but I would have said about white throated sparrow size. I initially thought maybe house sparrow, but the bill is what made me put it up. I can tell you it looked even larger in person than in these photos, and extremely triangular.

• Like 3

23 hours ago, DLecy said:

I can’t see this as anything other than a DEJU. It’s ratty as heck, and perhaps missing some feathers around the bill, which would account for the bill that appears larger/heavier than is typically    seen on a DEJU.

This

Also, this almost looks like a younger bird almost molted into adult plumage, which might explain the reminiscent wingbars.

Its a junco

• Like 3

On 8/23/2021 at 2:33 PM, The Bird Nuts said:

If that's the case then dirty House Sparrow fits better than DEJU based on the beak size.

I'm surprised this isn't a stronger contender here. Bill size and shape is perfect and overall proportions and stance fits well. Plumage is wonky, but it doesn't match for any of the previously mentioned species either. This bird looks wet/dirty/molting either way.

Another thing that really strikes me is the bill color. That pale tan color on a medium-sized conical-ish bill is something I immediately associate with HOSP.

Edited by Liam
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, Liam said:

I'm surprised this isn't a stronger contender here. Bill size and shape is perfect and overall proportions and stance fits well. Plumage is wonky, but it doesn't match for any of the previously mentioned species either. This bird looks wet/dirty/molting either way.

Another thing that really strikes me is the bill color. That pale tan color on a medium-sized conical-ish bill is something I immediately associate with HOSP.

HOSP was my first impression also but then after seeing all this I went to some of photos and found this: Which has me rethinking my initial impressions in favor of DEJU

014.JPG

8 minutes ago, Clip said:

HOSP was my first impression also but then after seeing all this I went to some of photos and found this: Which has me rethinking my initial impressions in favor of DEJU

014.JPG

Naw I just went back and looked at the original post and it's HOSP. I know better than to 2nd guess myself. The brown color of the back and wings pure HOSP.

Edited by Clip