Whatbird Community
Kathy

Looked similar to Northern Flicker

Sorry, no picture.  In early October I saw a bird in N New York, Lake Ontario/St Lawrence area that looked like a northern flicker in size & color.  It had a black “necklace” but the belly was solid colored - no spots.  The bird was on the ground.  It was a distance away but the spots on a flicker seem so distinct that it seems that I should have seen them.  I’ve researched & don’t see another bird with a “necklace” that lives in this area.  Any ideas?  Thanks, Kathy

1 hour ago, Kathy said:

Sorry, no picture.  In early October I saw a bird in N New York, Lake Ontario/St Lawrence area that looked like a northern flicker in size & color.  It had a black “necklace” but the belly was solid colored - no spots.  The bird was on the ground.  It was a distance away but the spots on a flicker seem so distinct that it seems that I should have seen them.  I’ve researched & don’t see another bird with a “necklace” that lives in this area.  Any ideas?  Thanks, Kathy

Welcome to Whatbird, Kathy. I'm going to suggest Eurasian-collared Dove. The placement of the necklace is different, but size and color are close and there's no spots on the belly/breast.

Thanks all for your help.  I looked at the Eurasian-collared Dove.  Very similar except the necklace location is wrong - it was under the “chin” like a flicker.  The bird we saw was not blue.

This may be a stretch, but is Red-whiskered Bulbul an option? It could be an escapee.

No, didn't have a crest like the Bulbul.  While searching online I found this pic of a partial albino flicker.  My bird didn't look like this either - it still had the black necklace & wasn't yellow.  But it made me wonder if there were other color mutations?

Northern-Flicker-20150904-NeedhamMA-Michael-BeagenDSC_7751-1024x642.jpg

Have you tried Eastern Meadowlark? They have a necklace in that location as well, a thick beak, and some similar colouration

No, not Varied Thrush nor Eastern Meadowlark.  The bird didn’t have any bright color (that I saw) like orange or yellow 

22 hours ago, Kathy said:

No, not Varied Thrush nor Eastern Meadowlark.  The bird didn’t have any bright color (that I saw) like orange or yellow 

OK, however, a female Varied Thrush would not be a bright orange but more of a pale-muted orange. 

Another thing to take into consideration is that in the field birds often look smaller/larger than they really are especially if they are on the ground.  

The ''necklace'' you described seems more like a breast-band so here are a few more suggestions...Killdeer, Horned Lark, Semipalmated Plover and this one is probably a stretch...Northern Lapwing. 🙂