Whatbird Community
BLTom

Hoping someone can I.D. this bird could be a lifer.

Thanks, Bird Brain there were sighting of an American Bittern on pond #6. I know it was quite a distance away, but that was as close as I could get. That's a lifer, it was my thought as well.

57 minutes ago, IvoryBillHope said:

Why not Least Bittern here?  Buffy orange color overall and what appears to be a dark cap. 

Least was my first reaction also

Edited by hbvol50

BBC   Here's the only other photo I have that may give you size reference. A mallard was in this photo. Also, Least Bittern were also seen in the area. Either way both would be a lifer. Just want to get right.

45325005622_14e9c8e825_b.jpgDSC_0797 (2) by R. Tompkins, on Flickr

I was going back and forth between the two,  and settled on American due to the wing spots,  which I now see are leaves in front of the wing. Agree Least.

6 hours ago, Bird Brain said:

The 2nd photo isn't showing up for me, says the photo is no longer available. Wish I could see it...........

I can't see it either...

That is strange...can't explain.

And I'm not questioning the consensus for Least. I was personally undecided with the first photo, but I think the perch here--up in the vegetation--favors Least over American. At least that has been my observation.

1 hour ago, HamRHead said:

That is strange...can't explain.

And I'm not questioning the consensus for Least. I was personally undecided with the first photo, but I think the perch here--up in the vegetation--favors Least over American. At least that has been my observation.

So it isn't a matter of size?  I know that's hard to judge but the second photo has a Mallard for comparison.

10 minutes ago, Charlie Spencer said:

So it isn't a matter of size?  I know that's hard to judge but the second photo has a Mallard for comparison.

Good point. You're way ahead of me. I was focused on the dark cap which is better seen in the second photo. But if there was still any doubt, the mallard takes care of that.:classic_smile:

Thank you for reposting the photo, @BLTom I agree with Least. I thought in the original photo it looked more like an American from what I could see, but the 2nd photo clearly shows the markings for a Least as well as size.

Edited by Bird Brain