Whatbird Community

Rocky Mountain Arsenal NWR, CO #1 (8/6/2021)

I'm pretty sure that the cormorant is a Double-crested x Neotropic Cormorant (Hybrid).

Note that the gape angle is noticeably more pointed than rounded (Neotropic), but there is yellow above the eye (Double-crested). The yellow above the eye is also rather faint, which favors a hybrid. Also the tail looks longer to me.

These hybrids do occur and they are probably overlooked as DCCOs most of the time.

Cool Bird!

Edited by Bird-Boys
  • Like 5

On 8/27/2021 at 9:40 PM, Hasan said:

Lol what? How are you getting all of this with confidence from a single mediocre photo?

The Lol isn't needed. Here is a hybrid. As you can see there is some resemblance to the bird in question. Nobody likes being laughed at.

003 (2).JPG

Edited by Clip
  • Like 7

Yeah, ok I see that it is a DCCO now.

I am just going to say that I am fed up with how some people on this forum sometimes act. Especially to new birders or birders with limited experience. I think that @Kevin's post tag speaks volumes.

I am disappointed in how some people on this forum sometimes act and will not be coming back.

• Sad 7

50 minutes ago, Bird-Boys said:

Yeah, ok I see that it is a DCCO now.

I am just going to say that I am fed up with how some people on this forum sometimes act. Especially to new birders or birders with limited experience. I think that @Kevin's post tag speaks volumes.

I am disappointed in how some people on this forum sometimes act and will not be coming back.

Please don't leave! It may be true that occasionally members on here will act unkindly, but there is more than twice that number that will speak up and be kind and encouraging to new members. We need you on here!

• Like 5

Alright, I think I overreacted and I am sorry for that. It is just so frustrating that some people act like jerks. I've given it a great deal of thought about whether or not I want to continue to be a part of this forum, and I have decided to stay, although I'm still not a fan of how some people on this forum sometimes act. I appreciate those of you who do always treat people with respect and kindness. I hope that people on this forum remember that in order for birding to continue into the next generation, they have to want to.

Edited by Bird-Boys
  • Like 4

8 minutes ago, Bird-Boys said:

Alright, I think I overreacted and I am sorry for that. It is just so frustrating that some people act like jerks. I've given it a great deal of thought about whether or not I want to continue to be a part of this forum, and I have decided to stay, although I'm still not a fan of how some people on this forum sometimes act. I appreciate those of you who do always treat people with respect and kindness. I hope that people on this forum remember that in order for birding to continue into the next generation, they have to want to.

Yay! I agree with all of your points. I understand your reaction, I almost didn't last two weeks on this forums..

• Like 3

Okay, it seems some general comments need to be made...

It is great to have a hearty discussion about a bird, but is NOT okay to personally attack other members, by making fun of them or criticizing how they identify a bird, OR calling them names. If you are annoyed by someone's posts stop reading them and move on.

Arguing in the threads is almost NEVER ever productive, it is just going to cause hard feelings.

Also please remember every one here is a human, like you. Most of the time people are not trying to start a war with you. Also you probably don't know what life stress and problems they are going through, a little kindness and being forgiving go a long way. Everyone is here because they like birds and birding, and are probably not here trying to attack you. There is room here for everyone as long as you are able to behave yourself.

• Like 10

4 minutes ago, Kevin said:

Okay, it seem some general comments need to be made...

It is great to have a hearty discussion about a bird, but is NOT okay to personally attack other members, by making fun of them or criticizing how they identify a bird, OR calling them names. If you are annoyed by someone's posts stop reading them and move on.

Arguing in the threads is almost NEVER ever productive, it is just going to cause hard feelings.

Also please remember every one here is a human, like you. Most of the time people are not trying to start a war with you. Also you probably don't know what life stress and problems they are going through, a little kindness and being forgiving go a long way. Everyone is here because they like birds and birding, and are probably not here trying to attack you. There is room here for everyone as long as you are able to behave yourself.

One last thing, PLEASE don't make me need to make these posts very often, I think y'all all know about my spelling and typing abilities, it took me some 20 minutes to decide what I was going to say, and wright it out. 

• Like 6
  • Haha 3