Whatbird Community
Sign in to follow this  
redcoot

Wandering Tattler or Yellowlegs?

Hello all! I recently took these very distant photos of what I assumed to be a Wandering Tattler at the Pouhala Marsh on 10/12/18. After looking at them closely however, I am beginning to wonder if yellowlegs is a possibility.

20181012092747-min.thumb.JPG.a899bf7d7d12f0867dd9f440b7a2c555.JPG

I'm not sure if the photo above will help. There is a white supercilium, but this is present in both species (tattlers and yellowlegs).

20181012092720-min.thumb.JPG.4b4ff2c9975a300e105f238d6239ddc6.JPG

This photo is what caught my eye. There is a very distinct line between the white belly and dark gray upperparts. Unfortunately, these are the only photos I have, so I can understand why this would be unidentifiable.

Thanks in advance! :classic_smile:

It looks a little like a Solitary Sandpiper to me, but it looks like that would be even less likely that Greater Yellowlegs. I’m not sure, but it’s not giving be a Tattler vibe.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, akiley said:

It looks a little like a Solitary Sandpiper to me, but it looks like that would be even less likely that Greater Yellowlegs. I’m not sure, but it’s not giving be a Tattler vibe.

I'll submit this to my local ebird regional reviewer, this does seem like a strange bird.