Whatbird Community

Fall Warblers Central NYS 9/2/21

Pics taken 9/2/21 near Sodus Point NY (central New York). Several Warblers and a couple others I can't ID. Also had Magnolia, BT Green, Red-eyed Vireo, Willow? Flycatcher, Eastern Phoebe, Eastern Wood-Pewee, and Hooded Warblers in the same area. Sorry for poor quality, very dark, overcast conditions.

DSC_1732.JPG

DSC_1781.JPG

DSC_1788.JPG

DSC_1853.JPG

DSC_1891.JPG

DSC_1913.JPG

DSC_1935.JPG

DSC_1942.JPG

I'm a west coast birder, so I don't have much experience with the east coast warblers, but these are my best guesses on the IDs.

1. Blackpoll

2. Blue Jay

3. Magnolia

4. Wilson's

5. Bay-breasted

6. Blackburnian

7. Bay-Breasted

8. Wilson's/Hooded

Looks like you had a great day!

• Like 6

11 minutes ago, Aidan B said:

I'm a west coast birder, so I don't have much experience with the east coast warblers, but these are my best guesses on the IDs.

1. Blackpoll

2. Blue Jay

3. Magnolia

4. Wilson's

5. Bay-breasted

6. Blackburnian

7. Bay-Breasted

8. Wilson's/Hooded

Looks like you had a great day!

I agree with this. East Coaster and New Yorker here, from the schenectady area.

Thanks, I was only there from 5 PM to 7 PM (Beechwood State Park), turned out better than I expected. I was thinking Blue Jay but the throat looked black in that pic. I'm pretty sure the last one was a hooded, it took off before I could get a good shot of it. 

• Like 1

Just now, MWM said:

Thanks, I was only there from 5 PM to 7 PM (Beechwood State Park), turned out better than I expected. I was thinking Blue Jay but the throat looked black in that pic. I'm pretty sure the last one was a hooded, it took off before I could get a good shot of it. 

Trick of the lighting for the blue jay, probably. Would consider going to Beechwood State Park, since I'm in the state!

That is a Common Yellowthroat.

Also for the last bird from the original post, it is a Hooded Warbler as confirmed by the white on the underside of the tail. 

@Aidan B that was impressive, some of those were pretty tough... you might have done better than I would have if I'd gone first... studying up on your Eastern warblers for fall migration?

• Like 7