Whatbird Community

Liam's Weekly Quiz!

Liam

13 hours ago, Quiscalus quiscula said:

Yeah....I've never been so scared by a bird quiz.

13 hours ago, PalmWarbler said:

Me neither!

Well I am really sure what this is. Unless @Liam has a really good explanation, of why it isn't what I think, I am going to squawk. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

11 minutes ago, Kevin said:

I see. I was really baffled, I could not think of a reason for you to be tagging those people that you wouldn't have probably tagged me to.  

Those were the probable top scorers - you and I must not fit into that category 😄

• Haha 3

So I had a thought, partially based on something Avery suggested.

I am open to receiving photos from y'all to post for future quiz photos.

Here's how this would work:

• If you provide me an image, you must give me the species identification, plus age, sex, or any other defining characteristics that could be used for additional points, if applicable.
  • If I use your photo, you will receive full points for the above information that you provided for that week, given that you correctly identified the species. This way, you need not submit a guess for your own photo.
  • Photos should be good quality, at least the equivalent of a 2-star photo on Macaulay Library.
  • Multiple species, hybrids, or otherwise tricky IDs are encouraged.
  • I ask that you do not share hints to others if your photo is used.

Don't send me photos just yet. I intend to clear my inbox on Friday and after I post the next quiz photo, I will start accepting quiz photo entries.

Let me know y'all's thoughts/questions on this!

• Like 9

2 minutes ago, Liam said:

So I had a thought, partially based on something Avery suggested.

I am open to receiving photos from y'all to post for future quiz photos.

Here's how this would work:

• If you provide me an image, you must give me the species identification, plus age, sex, or any other defining characteristics that could be used for additional points, if applicable.
  • If I use your photo, you will receive full points for the above information that you provided for that week, given that you correctly identified the species. This way, you need not submit a guess for your own photo.
  • Photos should be good quality, at least the equivalent of a 2-star photo on Macaulay Library.
  • Multiple species, hybrids, or otherwise tricky IDs are encouraged.
  • I ask that you do not share hints to others if your photo is used.

Don't send me photos just yet. I intend to clear my inbox on Friday and after I post the next quiz photo, I will start accepting quiz photo entries.

Let me know y'all's thoughts/questions on this!

I really like this idea, I think it should work well. Boy oh boy would I have some fun Junco Ssp. Hybrids for ya'll 😉

Edited by Birding Boy
Joking, I would not do this to you all.
  • Like 6
  • Sad 1

I am also thinking of doing scoreboards monthly, with monthly winners to spice things up a bit.

I will likely also keep an overall scoreboard that will be like a yearly one, with yearly winners.

The current scoreboard set-up makes it difficult for someone near the bottom to move up (e.g., new members that just began to participate), so a monthly scoreboard would give everyone an opportunity to place high on the scoreboard.

Just a thought. Let me know if y'all think this is a good idea too.

• Like 13