Whatbird Community

Liam's Weekly Quiz!

Liam

40 minutes ago, Liam said:

Yay! I was hoping it would be fun. I think perhaps Scaup are just kinda difficult.

They are, for me at least. One thing I have enjoyed about this week's photo though is that either I have learned something about how to tell the difference, or that I am never going to try to identify a Scaup again. 

• Haha 4

12 minutes ago, PaulK said:

I've got some photos of the most greater-looking lesser or vice versa from yesterday to post in the ID forum that I'm having trouble figuring out. Should I post them now or wait for the reveal tomorrow?

Post em now! It may provide some insight for y'all on the ID for this quiz!

• Like 2

With less than 24hrs left, I'll still missing submissions from @Avery @BrdNrd @Dan P @Johnd @kansabirdguy @meghann @PalmWarbler @PaulK @Peromyscus @Quiscalus quiscula and @SirVive.

Just wanted to send a reminder so y'all have the opportunity to submit guesses.

Edited by Liam
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Liam said:

With less than 24hrs left, I'll still missing submissions from @Avery @BrdNrd @Dan P @Johnd @kansabirdguy @meghann @PalmWarbler @PaulK @Peromyscus @Quiscalus quiscula and @SirVive.

Just wanted to send a reminder so y'all have the opportunity to submit guesses.

Did you not get mine? I sent it earlier today.

4 hours ago, Liam said:

I did not get yours. Remember that I swiped my inbox clean so you may have to create a new thread.

Thanks for the alert! I sent my response originally on the 5th, but only now found out that you had wiped your inbox clean. I deleted my original DM thread and started a new one just now for last Friday's quiz.

Thank you for your submissions!!

This week's bird includes two species - Lesser Scaup on the left and Greater Scaup on the right! Notice the differences in head shape - peaked towards the nape on the left bird and more towards the front of the crown on the right bird. Bill nail size is hard to judge at this angle, but it definitely appears to support Lesser and Greater, respectively.

The bird on the left is a male as evidenced by the white feathers molting in on the upperparts and the bird on the right is a female as evidenced by the white patch on the front. The Lesser Scaup is a HY (hatch-year) bird. Adults at this time of year (December) are in alternate plumage. Of course I didn't note date, but age can also be inferred by the more uniform pattern on the flanks (it's more blotchy and marbled in appearance in basic-plumaged males). I am not familiar with ageing of females, so I won't attempt to age the Greater Scaup.

This photo was taken in Essex County, MA on December 5th. 

Those who guessed Lesser Scaup on the left bird get 3 points and Greater Scaup on the right bird get 3 points. Anyone who guessed any species within the genus Aythya for either bird gets 2 points and anyone who guessed any species in the family Anatidae for either bird gets 1 point.

1 additional point was awarded for guessing male on the left bird; 1 additional point was awarded for guessing immature/juvenile on the left bird as well; 1 additional point was awarded for guessing female on the right bird.

Here's the 11/12/21 scoreboard.

1. BirdingBoy, Kevin - 40 points

2. ConnorCochrane, TheBirdNuts - 38 points

3. Kerri - 37 points

4. AidanB, stitch58 - 35 points

5. meghann - 32 points

6. Avery - 31 points

7. PalmWarbler - 30 points

8. IKLland - 29 points

9. BrdNrd - 28 points

10. Peromyscus - 26 points

11. MichaelLong - 25 points

12. SeanBirds - 23 points

13. Kansabirdguy - 21 points

14. EdHogg, PaulK - 16 points

15. Quiscalus quiscula - 13 points

16. TrevorL - 8 points

17.  SirVive - 7 points

18. DanP - 6 points

19. Johnd - 5 points

Here is the November scoreboard:

1. AidanB, ConnorCochrane, Kerri, PalmWarbler, stitch58, TheBirdNuts - 9 points

2. Avery, BirdingBoy, Kevin, meghann, MichaelLong, Peromyscus, SeanBirds, TrevorL - 8 points 

3. EdHogg, SirVive - 7 points 

4. IKLland, PaulK - 6 points 

5. DanP - 4 points

Let me know if I missed you on the scoreboard or if I made any other errors.

Thanks again for your submissions! This week's quiz will be posted shortly.

• Like 6

55 minutes ago, Liam said:

Thank you for your submissions!!

This week's bird includes two species - Lesser Scaup on the left and Greater Scaup on the right! Notice the differences in head shape - peaked towards the nape on the left bird and more towards the front of the crown on the right bird. Bill nail size is hard to judge at this angle, but it definitely appears to support Lesser and Greater, respectively.

The bird on the left is a male as evidenced by the white feathers molting in on the upperparts and the bird on the right is a female as evidenced by the white patch on the front. The Lesser Scaup is a HY (hatch-year) bird. Adults at this time of year (December) are in alternate plumage. Of course I didn't note date, but age can also be inferred by the more uniform pattern on the flanks (it's more blotchy and marbled in appearance in basic-plumaged males). I am not familiar with ageing of females, so I won't attempt to age the Greater Scaup.

This photo was taken in Essex County, MA on December 5th. 

Those who guessed Lesser Scaup on the left bird get 3 points and Greater Scaup on the right bird get 3 points. Anyone who guessed any species within the genus Aythya for either bird gets 2 points and anyone who guessed any species in the family Anatidae for either bird gets 1 point.

1 additional point was awarded for guessing male on the left bird; 1 additional point was awarded for guessing immature/juvenile on the left bird as well; 1 additional point was awarded for guessing female on the right bird.

Here's the 11/12/21 scoreboard.

1. BirdingBoy, Kevin - 40 points

2. ConnorCochrane, TheBirdNuts - 38 points

3. Kerri - 37 points

4. AidanB, stitch58 - 35 points

5. meghann - 32 points

6. Avery - 31 points

7. PalmWarbler - 30 points

8. IKLland - 29 points

9. BrdNrd - 28 points

10. Peromyscus - 26 points

11. MichaelLong - 25 points

12. SeanBirds - 23 points

13. Kansabirdguy - 21 points

14. EdHogg, PaulK - 16 points

15. Quiscalus quiscula - 13 points

16. TrevorL - 8 points

17.  SirVive - 7 points

18. DanP - 6 points

19. Johnd - 5 points

Here is the November scoreboard:

1. AidanB, ConnorCochrane, Kerri, PalmWarbler, stitch58, TheBirdNuts - 9 points

2. Avery, BirdingBoy, Kevin, meghann, MichaelLong, Peromyscus, SeanBirds, TrevorL - 8 points 

3. EdHogg, SirVive - 7 points 

4. IKLland, PaulK - 6 points 

5. DanP - 4 points

Let me know if I missed you on the scoreboard or if I made any other errors.

Thanks again for your submissions! This week's quiz will be posted shortly.

Did you update my points? I said LESC for the left and GRSC for the right.

27 minutes ago, BirdNrd said:

Did you update my points? I said LESC for the left and GRSC for the right.

See above for the source of the confusion. I didn't realize the DM threads stayed in y'all's inbox when I wiped my inbox. So I needed you to send me a new DM for your weekly quiz, but alas, I tagged BrdNrd instead of BirdNrd.

I tell you what - if you send me a screenshot of your inbox showing your guess, I'll give you full credit for whatever you guessed.

• Like 3