Whatbird Community

Liam's Weekly Quiz!

Liam

38 minutes ago, Liam said:

This week's quiz is the first to include 3 photos! But the good news is they're easy to guess to genus so users are almost guaranteed at least two points. 

The photos are clearly and conveniently labelled as 1, 2, and 3. Please follow this labelling convention with your guesses.

dOZZoda.jpg

MRQ5Cfz.jpg

2BD7nVS.jpg

I guess I need to brush up on my Meadowlark identification skills... 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Liam said:

This week's quiz is the first to include 3 photos! But the good news is they're easy to guess to genus so users are almost guaranteed at least two points. 

The photos are clearly and conveniently labelled as 1, 2, and 3. Please follow this labelling convention with your guesses.

dOZZoda.jpg

MRQ5Cfz.jpg

2BD7nVS.jpg

Bringing this to the newest page.

• Like 5

On 10/15/2021 at 2:40 PM, Birding Boy said:

If you don’t want to learn the differences, there is an alternative A93F30AF-09E5-4EAB-B5ED-5D8A1E56BCD2.gif.ab1f5491c9e1ac4cb570323fd0902ea8.gif

Seriously though, this has been a really good incentive to learn the more subtle field marks for a bunch of species. 

It's entirely appropriate that this shows up in the sidebar under "posted images" for this thread

• Haha 5

4 hours ago, Liam said:

dOZZoda.jpg

MRQ5Cfz.jpg

2BD7nVS.jpg

Just to clarify, are we guessing the species for each picture?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Avery said:

Just to clarify, are we guessing the species for each picture?

Yes. I will count 1 point per photo for guesses on alternate or basic plumage. I won't mess with age or sex.

Edited by Liam
clarification
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/3/2021 at 4:32 PM, Liam said:

Yes. I will count 1 point per photo for guesses on alternate or basic plumage. I won't mess with age or sex.

I submitted that info as breeding/nonbreeding instead of alternate/basic. Will you still count those if I get them correct? 

I’ll try to use more technical terms next time.

Edited by Seanbirds
  • Like 3

On 12/3/2021 at 12:16 PM, Liam said:

dOZZoda.jpg

MRQ5Cfz.jpg

2BD7nVS.jpg

Lady's, gentlemen, and young people, get your guesses in, it is two days till Friday! 

• Haha 2

Thank you for your submissions!!

This week's birds are 1.) Eastern Meadowlark, basic-plumaged, 2.) Eastern Meadowlark, alternate-plumaged and 3.) Western Meadowlark, basic-plumaged. This week's quiz was challenging because these two species are difficult to differentiate, and their molts make things even more confusing. The differences between the two species are subtle, especially in basic plumage. In basic plumage, Eastern have crisper contrast in the browns and grays, looking much cleaner looking. Western are typically more drab with more browns and grays and less white. However, the biggest difference and easiest way to differentiate the two species (in both plumages) is the color of the malar. In Eastern, the color of the malar is generally white, even if the throat is yellow. The feathers at the base of the lower mandible are white. In Western, the yellow on the throat extends onto the malar, making the feathers at the base of the lower mandible generally yellow. In winter this can be very subtle. Tail pattern can be distinctive too, with Eastern have darker central bars in the tail feathers. 

Note that Western have a lot of variation. Basic-plumaged birds can be much more drab than the photo #3 here, but compare our individual to a truly alternate-plumaged bird.

Photo 1 was taken in McMullen County, Texas on Dec 21. Photo 2 was taken in Bell County, Texas on Feb 16. Photo 3 was taken in Bell County, Texas on Feb 16.

Those who guessed Eastern Meadowlark for photos 1 and 2 get 3 points per photo. Those who guessed Western Meadowlark on photo 3 get 3 points. No one guessed anything other than Meadowlark (good job!) but get 2 points for guessing the wrong species of Meadowlark.

1 additional point per photo was awarded for guessing basic/nonbreeding for photo 1, alternate/breeding for photo 2, and basic/nonbreeding for photo 3.

Here's the 12/10/21 scoreboard.

1. BirdingBoy - 72 points

2. Kevin - 70 points

3. Kerri - 64 points

4. AidanB - 63 points

5. meghann - 62 points

6. stitch58 - 61 points

7. Avery - 60 points

8. TheBirdNuts - 58 points

9. ConnorCochrane, Peromyscus - 54 points

10. PalmWarbler - 53 points

11. BirdNrd, Seanbirds - 52 points

12. IKLland - 50 points

13. MichaelLong - 49 points

14. PaulK - 39 points

15. Quiscalusquiscula - 38 points

16. EdHogg - 37 points

17. TrevorL - 36 points

18. DanP - 34 points

19. Kansabirdguy, SirVive - 24 points

20. Bird-Boys - 19 points

Here is the December scoreboard:

1. BirdingBoy, DanP - 12 points

2. Kerri - 11 points

3. Avery, IKLland, meghann, PaulK, Peromyscus, stitch58 - 10 points

4. AidanB, Kevin, Palm Warbler, Quiscalusquiscula, SeanBirds, SirVive - 9 points

5. BirdNrd, EdHogg, MichaelLong, TrevlorL - 8 points

Let me know if I missed you on the scoreboard or if I made any other errors.

Thanks again for your submissions! This week's quiz will be posted shortly.

• Like 6