Whatbird Community

Liam's Weekly Quiz!

I have eight responses so far. Anyone else want to play?

I think starting next week, I'll have users DM me the responses. I encourage discourse on identification in this thread, but final answers must be direct messaged to me.

• Like 2

I have to admit that I am waffling back and forth on this one, even after reading the replies. As others have mentioned, Northern Goshawk seems like a good fit, especially with those wavy tail bands. Then again, I think I have read something in the past about tail feathers of certain hawks being unreliable field marks during certain times of the year. Since we don't know when the photo was taken, I'm not sure if that applies to this hawk, if  I got that part right and it does actually apply. I'll need to think on this one a bit longer. 🤔

• Like 5

The correct answer is juvenile Northern Goshawk!!

This photo was taken in the Headwaters Wilderness, Wisconsin on July 3rd.

Note the Buteo-like proportions, but long tail and smaller head. The tail does indeed have wavy barring unique to this species among Accipiters and the breast has a buffy wash and dense streaking. Well done and congrats to all who guessed correctly!

Those who guessed Northern Goshawk get 3 points, those who guessed any species in the genus Accipiter get 2 points, and anyone who guessed any species in the family Accipitridae gets 1 point. Anyone who guessed juvenile Northern Goshawk gets an additional point. Sex cannot be determined.

I accept Lonestranger's guess as his final answer.

Here's the 9/10/21 scoreboard.

1. Aidan B, Birding Boy, Connor Cochrane, IKLland, The Bird Nuts - 4 points

2. Lonestranger, Quiscalus quiscula - 3 points

3. meghann - 2 points

4. Kerri, Kevin - 1 point

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Bombycilla Cedorum said:

I have no idea what I'm doing but I'm gunna (😂 @Kevin @Quiscalus quiscula) go out on a limb and say juvenile Northern Mockingbird. Disclaimer: This is my first time trying to identify a bird on Whatbird.

Aren't you supposed to message Liam your final answer? I think that was what we decided. 

• Like 1

I'm not going to wait until the middle of the week, I am going to toss out a hint right now. The bird is a Juvenile!!  Since everyone will get an extra point from my hint, I expect everyone to provide me with a hint that will help ensure that I get more than just that one point. :classic_laugh:

Juvenile Northern Mockingbird kind of fits but there is something almost familiar with this bird and I'm not overly familiar with Northern Mockingbirds so something just doesn't feel right. It might just be my near zero experience with Mockingbirds and zero experience with young Mockers. To be honest, my initial impression was a juvenile thrush, Eastern Bluebird juveniles are something I am familiar with, but they don't have wing bars so I started looking at other possibilities. I can't find anything better than a Juvenile Northern Mockingbird, but like I said, that just doesn't feel right for some unknown reason.(lack of experience being a totally acceptable unknown reason) 

Okay, this is were you offer your hints to help me get over my doubts....and get that extra point or two. :classic_laugh:

• Like 7

17 hours ago, Liam said:

Yeah, don't forget to direct message me your final answers! It's okay to offer suggestions and discuss the ID, but your final answer should be messaged to me.

I'm not sure how full your mailbox is, but you may want to delete some older DM's as you get new ones so that your mailbox doesn't fill up and cause a snag along the way. 😉

• Like 2

2 hours ago, lonestranger said:

I'm not sure how full your mailbox is, but you may want to delete some older DM's as you get new ones so that your mailbox doesn't fill up and cause a snag along the way. 😉

It was empty before this morning! Nobody messaged me since I recreated my account after the site crashed.

• Like 1