Whatbird Community

Liam's Weekly Quiz!

Liam

On 1/11/2022 at 8:42 PM, Liam said:

Poll time!

Do you find the scoreboards useful, motivating, or entertaining? Do any of you see it as a barrier to participating? What, if anything, do you get out of the scoreboard?

The reason I ask is twofold.

Firstly, it's taxing for me to update weekly and monthly and is the primary reason I am so delayed lately. If it was just the detailed ID analysis, it wouldn't be so time-consuming. I could instead do just percentages of correct vs. incorrect answers or something instead of a scoreboard; that way it would still be entertaining.

Secondly, I feel like the scoreboard can be intimidating to folks who are still learning ID versus the well-seasoned veterans. The latter will always end up high on the scoreboard so the newer folks might be embarrassed at the bottom.

Anyway, let me know your thoughts. I am open to continuing with the system we have now. So please, be honest! I'm asking for your honest opinion here, not asking permission to close the scoreboard. If we opt to keep the scoreboard, we can multiple users run the quiz. Either way, I want to select the option that will make this quiz the highest quality and most fun it can be.

I am extremely competitive person, I love a challenge and competition, so as a result, I love the scoreboard.  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Liam said:

Google sheet would also enable multiple users to oversee the quiz, so if I'm absent for any reason then another user could help out easily.

If needed, I'm willing to help! 

• Like 2

On 1/11/2022 at 9:42 PM, Liam said:

Poll time!

Do you find the scoreboards useful, motivating, or entertaining? Do any of you see it as a barrier to participating? What, if anything, do you get out of the scoreboard?

The reason I ask is twofold.

Firstly, it's taxing for me to update weekly and monthly and is the primary reason I am so delayed lately. If it was just the detailed ID analysis, it wouldn't be so time-consuming. I could instead do just percentages of correct vs. incorrect answers or something instead of a scoreboard; that way it would still be entertaining.

Secondly, I feel like the scoreboard can be intimidating to folks who are still learning ID versus the well-seasoned veterans. The latter will always end up high on the scoreboard so the newer folks might be embarrassed at the bottom.

Anyway, let me know your thoughts. I am open to continuing with the system we have now. So please, be honest! I'm asking for your honest opinion here, not asking permission to close the scoreboard. If we opt to keep the scoreboard, we can multiple users run the quiz. Either way, I want to select the option that will make this quiz the highest quality and most fun it can be.

To be honest, I find the whole points thing more stressful than fun.  I am competitive and I wish I wasn't.  I know I shouldn't care when my name drops on the scoreboard, but it's hard for me not to.  But that's my problem and you shouldn't listen to me... 🙂

• Like 9

Okay, so the NEW SCOREBOARD will be on google sheets. It's OPT-IN so if you want your points to be counted, let me know in a DM with your guess. You only need to DM me one time. You can opt-out any time in the same manner.

The first quiz of 2022 will be this Friday. I'm always accepting quiz photos, so if you have a good photo of a tricky ID, send it my way!

• Like 11

Who's excited for a new quiz today??

SMASH that like button!!

Edited by Liam
  • Like 9

24 minutes ago, Liam said:

Who's excited for a new quiz today??

SMASH that like button!!

There’s a crack in my screen now! 🤣

• Haha 5

Okay folks, the time has come for the first quiz of 2022! And it's a tough one!

Bird 1: cfqzQRy.jpg

Bird 2:

nihvset.jpg

Bird 3:

aTQqpl8.jpg

IMPORTANT: When you send me your quiz guesses, be sure to note which guess goes to which bird. Also, if you do not want your name on the scoreboard, let me know. Otherwise I will assume you want to be included.

No additional points will be counted for subspecies, age, or sex for these individuals.

• Like 7

8 hours ago, Kerri said:

@Liam Should we create a new message with our guess so your inbox doesn't get bogged down?

Best thing to do is use the old message you already have with me. New threads bog down the inbox.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Quiscalus quiscula said:

What am I going to do????? I no longer have an eastern field guide!

Let's just say the western field guide might come in handy here.

Especially if you look at bill size and belly color.

• Like 5

HURRY, HURRY, HURRY!!!!! Get you guesses in! Remember that this quiz is not restricted to the USA!

Be sure to rule out  Grenada Flycatcher, Nutting's Flycatcher, Lesser Antillean Flycatcher, Dusky-capped Flycatcher, Pale-edged Flycatcher, Ash-throated Flycatcher, Apical Flycatcher, Swainson's Flycatcher, Great Crested Flycatcher, Sooty-crowned Flycatcher, Brown-crested Flycatcher, Short-crested Flycatcher, and Yucatan Flycatcher! 

• Haha 4
  • Sad 2

11 minutes ago, Kevin said:

HURRY, HURRY, HURRY!!!!! Get you guesses in! Remember that this quiz is not restricted to the USA!

Be sure to rule out  Grenada Flycatcher, Nutting's Flycatcher, Lesser Antillean Flycatcher, Dusky-capped Flycatcher, Pale-edged Flycatcher, Ash-throated Flycatcher, Apical Flycatcher, Swainson's Flycatcher, Great Crested Flycatcher, Sooty-crowned Flycatcher, Brown-crested Flycatcher, Short-crested Flycatcher, and Yucatan Flycatcher! 

Just to ease your minds, these photos were ALL taken in the USA. 😅

• Like 6