Whatbird Community

Liam's Weekly Quiz!

Liam

4 hours ago, Kevin said:

HURRY, HURRY, HURRY!!!!! Get you guesses in! Remember that this quiz is not restricted to the USA!

Be sure to rule out  Grenada Flycatcher, Nutting's Flycatcher, Lesser Antillean Flycatcher, Dusky-capped Flycatcher, Pale-edged Flycatcher, Ash-throated Flycatcher, Apical Flycatcher, Swainson's Flycatcher, Great Crested Flycatcher, Sooty-crowned Flycatcher, Brown-crested Flycatcher, Short-crested Flycatcher, and Yucatan Flycatcher! 

Thanks for telling us all the ones it's NOT ?

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, Aveschapines said:

¿? Do you have any idea where Guatemala is? Lunch was many hours ago (I had mushrooms and snow peas in cream sauce over brown rice and red cabbage coleslaw.)

I was referring to being on time to the minute - or the lack thereof. I  assume it is culturally similar to all of the other Latin American countries I've spent so much time in? Never made it to Guatemala yet.

1 minute ago, SirVive said:

I was referring to being on time to the minute - or the lack thereof. I  assume it is culturally similar to all of the other Latin American countries I've spent so much time in? Never made it to Guatemala yet.

Ah OK! I'll answer your question after dinner LOL!

• Haha 2

I forgot about this after lunch and now it's after midnight so I'll give the results now and share the scoreboard and detailed analysis later. 

Bird 1 is a Dusky-capped Flycatcher.

Bird 2 is a Brown-crested Flycatcher.

Bird 3 is a Great Crested Flycatcher

The biggest differences are in bill size and the amount of yellow in the belly. I'll provide a more thorough analysis when I post the scoreboard. Great job, folks!

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

That was a hard one for sure - I got confused on photo 1 because Dusky-capped Flycatcher doesn't show on the allaboutbirds.com website just Dusky Flycatcher so I went with Ash-throated for number 1 photo. Great comparison of similar species! 

• Like 3

Well it was not too hard for me, because I have seen Brown, and Great Crested, so I have already studied up on distinguishing them, and when I saw that bill on the first one it immediately stood out as neither Brown or Great Crested.

• Like 2