Whatbird Community

Liam's Weekly Quiz!

Liam

On 2/1/2022 at 7:53 AM, Liam said:

I'm not so egotistical that I won't accept if one of my quiz IDs was wrong. 

I'll be like Kendrick, sitting down and humble.

I wasn't assuming you had it wrong - just if we got it wrong we might still be able to convince you that we were right :classic_cool:

1 hour ago, Liam said:

Would y'all prefer an update on Friday (tomorrow) or Sunday (so the quiz will have been up an entire week)?

Either way, get your guesses in if you haven't already!

Whatever works best for you, but I kind of like there being a break in between the end of the last quiz and the beginning of the first. Like, quizzes starting Sunday and ending Friday or whatever.

• Like 5

12 hours ago, SirVive said:

Give me till Saturday this time around   ... only chance I have to do this is on the weekends so if it doesn't post till Sunday afternoon I'm out. 

Saturday works for me! I have a busy day today.

Let's just say "some time around the weekend" for future quizzes. 😄

• Like 2

Hey I'd like to do this but I am a little confused on where to put my answers. I figured out the don't put there where everyone can see them, put how do you dm or was there a poll?

Also we're still on those woodpecker ones? right?

Edited by Tanager 101
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Tanager 101 said:

Hey I'd like to do this but I am a little confused on where to put my answers. I figured out the don't put there where everyone can see them, put how do you dm or was there a poll?

Also we're still on those woodpecker ones? right?

Yes, it's still the woodpecker ones. Message your answer to Liam.

• Like 2

Great job folks! I'm writing up the analysis now as I sip my coffee. I'm glad I waited until today since there were ~6 individuals who hadn't got their guesses in until yesterday. Sit tight!

• Like 4

Just now, Liam said:

Great job folks! I'm writing up the analysis now as I sip my coffee. I'm glad I waited until today since there were ~6 individuals who hadn't got their guesses in until yesterday. Sit tight!

Yeah, sorry about that.

On 1/30/2022 at 8:05 PM, Liam said:

Alright folks. We on x-games mode.

BaRPjO4.jpg

Z3rkNP7.jpg

0cHUSSD.jpg

hrcRK5d.jpg

QBRAme0.jpg

This week's birds are:

1: Ladder-backed Woodpecker, male

2. Downy Woodpecker (I think juvenile male? idk). 

3. Nuttall's Woodpecker, male

4. Downy Woodpecker, female

5. Red-cockaded Woodpecker (sex unknown)

What makes this most challenging is that the photos have been cropped to just the head (you all have Meghann to thank for that). This forces you to ID them based on bill structure and facial pattern. All of these are Dryobates (formerly Picoides) so they are very similar in appearance. Bill length is one of the primary ID components here - from shortest to longest bill length as per Pyle guide: Downy, Nuttall's Woodpecker, Ladder-backed Woodpecker/Red-cockaded Woodpecker, and Hairy Woodpecker. The second bird threw people off, but the bill length is not >0.5 the length of the head. Once you see the whole image, the proportions will make more sense. This is a juvenile bird so the feathers around the bill may not have fully grown in yet.

Facial pattern is a good indicator two. Downy and Hairy are very similar and best differentiated by bill length (and the presence of black bars on the outer tail feathers of Downy). Red-cockaded Woodpecker is very distinct with the white cheek patch. Nuttall's and Ladder-backed are similar but differ in the tuft by the bill (buffy on Ladder-backed, white on Nuttall's).

These photos were taken in (1) Hidalgo County, Texas in January, (2) Columbia County, Georgia in ? by Meghann, (3) San Diego, CA in October by my buddy Ryan Andrews, (4) Columbia County, Georgia in ? by Meghann, and (5) Richmond County, Georgia in February.

Additional points were included for sex of birds 1, 3, and 4. I think bird 2 is a male, but I can't confirm. Red-cockaded Woodpecker are very difficult to sex unless the bird is in-hand or the male is excited enough that you can see the red cockade. Because you can't see the entire plumage of the birds, I did not count additional points for age.

Here are the full-size images:

rpc4bEb.jpg

uzWrkwO.jpg

qyrMT7B.jpg

hPHM4Qa.jpg

VZEkdh2.jpg

• Like 6

I have a question:  Is it possible to age woodpeckers that are not juveniles by plumage only?  I thought I read somewhere that it isn't safe to assume a woodpecker that is in "adult plumage" is an adult.  I decided to include ages in my guesses anyway just in case I didn't know something that you did.

Edited by The Bird Nuts
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, The Bird Nuts said:

I have a question:  Is it possible to age woodpeckers that are not juveniles by plumage only?  I thought I read somewhere that it isn't safe to assume a woodpecker that is in "adult plumage" is an adult.  I decided to include ages in my guesses anyway just in case I didn't know something that you did.

Not sure how to answer this question. I think there's nuance in how you might define an "adult" woodpecker in the field if not by plumage. In other words, you can't determine if a woodpecker is sexually mature based on its plumage alone, so if you see a woodpecker in "adult plumage" that should indicate that it is an "adult" based on field identification tactics, right? That's the best way you can describe it. In the hand you have access to molt wear and patterning, making ageing relatively easy. But in the field you can't necessarily see those finer details.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, Liam said:

Not sure how to answer this question. I think there's nuance in how you might define an "adult" woodpecker in the field if not by plumage. In other words, you can't determine if a woodpecker is sexually mature based on its plumage alone, so if you see a woodpecker in "adult plumage" that should indicate that it is an "adult" based on field identification tactics, right? That's the best way you can describe it. In the hand you have access to molt wear and patterning, making ageing relatively easy. But in the field you can't necessarily see those finer details.

Okay, so it's best for me not to report the age for non-juvenile woodpeckers on eBird, right?  I don't know anything about their molts, etc.