Whatbird Community

Liam's Weekly Quiz!

Liam

41 minutes ago, Kevin said:

I'm afraid that Nuttall's got me too. 

52 minutes ago, Quiscalus quiscula said:

I got most of these right, but 3 tripped me up. I don't think about Nutall's enough here, and I'm not sure what field marks to use to differentiate it from Downy just from the head.

It was a difficult one, especially because it’s head was really dark for one (had me thinking Downy x Nuttall’s for a second). But you can see the horizontal back streaking and the face pattern is different in Nuttalls. On Nuttall’s the white stripe above the malar does not go through to the back of the head like Downy.  

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Connor Cochrane said:

It was a difficult one, especially because it’s head was really dark for one (had me thinking Downy x Nuttall’s for a second). But you can see the horizontal back streaking and the face pattern is different in Nuttalls. On Nuttall’s the white stripe above the malar does not go through to the back of the head like Downy.  

Yeah. I don’t blame those non Californians for that one though. Once you get to know them their actually pretty easy. 

• Like 1

I was actually trying to find a Ladder-backed x Downy photo for the quiz, because there is or was a known one at LaFitte's Cove on Galveston Island, Texas. But the only person I know personally with a photo is my ex-girlfriend! 🙃

• Haha 9

On 2/6/2022 at 4:32 PM, Liam said:

I can definitely say for the next quiz that points will definitely be counted for sex! I don't think I'll count any points for age, though.

Is this still correct? Just male or female, but not age?

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Kevin said:

Is this still correct? Just male or female, but not age?

Yes. I'm going to treat the IDs as adults when I write the synopsis, even though I can't necessarily say that for sure. Hence, I won't count additional points for age.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Liam said:

I guess it's a bird in a quiz photo so you absolutely can! Call that one 1b I guess.

Not sure why I haven’t asked  this yet. Do we get points off if we get it wrong? Or do we just not gain any?

On 2/6/2022 at 7:56 PM, IKLland said:

I got them all right except the second. I went with hybrid….

Help me out on this one - I ended up going with Yellow-bellied like this pic for #2 because none of the Downys or Hairys I have ever seen have red anywhere near that far up onto the head 🤔

Screenshot_2022-02-08-21-45-51.png

Edited by SirVive
Typo

10 hours ago, SirVive said:

Help me out on this one - I ended up going with Yellow-bellied like this pic for #2 because none of the Downys or Hairys I have ever seen have red anywhere near that far up onto the head 🤔

Screenshot_2022-02-08-21-45-51.png

Facial pattern, and note how a downy has white on the face, while a sapsuckers is much more buffy colored.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1