Whatbird Community

Liam's Weekly Quiz!

Liam

Okay folks, while we wait, I have a request! Please DM me pictures or links to pictures of any of the following for future quizzes:

Hooded Mergansers that are not adult males (i.e., young males or females), Swans (Tundra, Trumpeter, Mute, Whooper), Canada/Cackling/Ross's/Snow Goose, Catharus thrushes, female orioles, and Cassin's/Purple Finches.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Liam said:

Okay folks, while we wait, I have a request! Please DM me pictures or links to pictures of any of the following for future quizzes:

Hooded Mergansers that are not adult males (i.e., young males or females), Swans (Tundra, Trumpeter, Mute, Whooper), Canada/Cackling/Ross's/Snow Goose, Catharus thrushes, female orioles, and Cassin's/Purple Finches.

Can they be our photos or just photos from ebird?

16 minutes ago, IKLland said:

Can they be our photos or just photos from ebird?

Your photos. You can send the photo directly or you can send me a link to your photo if you have it posted on eBird or something.

I'd prefer high quality photos of challenging birds over crappy quality photos of easy birds. 😄

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Liam said:

Your photos. You can send the photo directly or you can send me a link to your photo if you have it posted on eBird or something.

I'd prefer high quality photos of challenging birds over crappy quality photos of easy birds. 😄

If you use our photos, we can't compete that week though, right? I'll see if I have anything I can send you later.

• Like 1

Just now, IKLland said:

If you use our photos, we can't compete that week though, right? I'll see if I have anything I can send you later.

I'll probably combine photos from multiple users into one quiz. You still have to guess on the other photos. Sending a link to eBird photos is the best because then I can count that ID on eBird as your "guess" for your own photo.

• Like 2

Thanks for your participation, y'all!

This week's quiz was challenging duck hens! I specifically wanted to focus on Teals, but I threw in a Gadwall just to make things a little more interesting. Notably, Gadwall is in the genus Mareca whille Teals are in the genus Anas. Northern Shoveler is in the genus Spatula.

Photo 1 shows a female Green-winged Teal in the foreground. Note the stocky proportions, kind of squared head and short neck, and the cream stripe at the vent. Some folks guessed female Mallard on this bird, but the length of the body is much shorter on this bird. Compare. The bird behind it is less stocky with a larger head and bill and mottling on the undertail coverts, so my guess is that it is a male Northern Shoveler, but I could be wrong, so if you have support for another ID, please share. This photo was taken by @Kevin in Palo Pinto County, Texas in November.

Photo 2 shows a female Blue-winged Teal. It does not have a creamy vent stripe, but note the larger bill size compared to Green-winged Teal. The pale spot by the bill is a good indicator for Blue-winged Teal (though not a unique field mark) as is the white upper eye-arc. This photo was taken in Richmond County, Georgia in April.

Photo 3 shows a female Cinnamon Teal. It is most similar to Blue-winged Teal, but has a larger bill, less prominent eye arc and white face spot, and is more of a rich brown color. This photo was taken by @Kevin in Palo Pinto County in March. Drakes are in breeding plumage by this time, so it is a female.

Photo 4 shows a female Gadwall. Superficially these resemble Green-winged Teal, but the racing stripe bill pattern (quite faded here) and the white speculum give it away. This photo was taken in Richmond County, Georgia in March.

Here is this week's scoreboard: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1O-lJlp8rr2VAK3CFkMpCkMB-ayTbV7Us/edit#gid=1696946999

Next quiz coming soon!

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, Liam said:

Thanks for your participation, y'all!

This week's quiz was challenging duck hens! I specifically wanted to focus on Teals, but I threw in a Gadwall just to make things a little more interesting. Notably, Gadwall is in the genus Mareca whille Teals are in the genus Anas. Northern Shoveler is in the genus Spatula.

Photo 1 shows a female Green-winged Teal in the foreground. Note the stocky proportions, kind of squared head and short neck, and the cream stripe at the vent. Some folks guessed female Mallard on this bird, but the length of the body is much shorter on this bird. Compare. The bird behind it is less stocky with a larger head and bill and mottling on the undertail coverts, so my guess is that it is a male Northern Shoveler, but I could be wrong, so if you have support for another ID, please share. This photo was taken by @Kevin in Palo Pinto County, Texas in November.

Photo 2 shows a female Blue-winged Teal. It does not have a creamy vent stripe, but note the larger bill size compared to Green-winged Teal. The pale spot by the bill is a good indicator for Blue-winged Teal (though not a unique field mark) as is the white upper eye-arc. This photo was taken in Richmond County, Georgia in April.

Photo 3 shows a female Cinnamon Teal. It is most similar to Blue-winged Teal, but has a larger bill, less prominent eye arc and white face spot, and is more of a rich brown color. This photo was taken by @Kevin in Palo Pinto County in March. Drakes are in breeding plumage by this time, so it is a female.

Photo 4 shows a female Gadwall. Superficially these resemble Green-winged Teal, but the racing stripe bill pattern (quite faded here) and the white speculum give it away. This photo was taken in Richmond County, Georgia in March.

Here is this week's scoreboard: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1O-lJlp8rr2VAK3CFkMpCkMB-ayTbV7Us/edit#gid=1696946999

Next quiz coming soon!

I got them all, except the background bird in the first photo.

• Like 1

Re bird 1b, I don't see how that can be a shoveler. I think we'd see the white tail, and below the tail on this bird is pale enough for the colour of the sunset (?) reflecting off the water to show. It looks like another teal to me, for the little that's worth.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, The Bird Nuts said:

I'm confused by my score.  How are the answers scored again?

I wonder if @Kevin has a better photo of bird 1b.

3 points for each species correctly guessed. 1 additional point per bird for correct guesses on sex.

Only 2 points if you guessed within the genus, but not the right species. 1 point if you guessed within the family, but the wrong genus. No additional points for guesses on sex if you got the species ID wrong.

So you got 16 points for correctly guessing species and sex on 1a, 2, 3, and 4. 1 pt for guessing within family Anatidae for 1b. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, The Bird Nuts said:

I wonder if @Kevin has a better photo of bird 1b.

I am afraid I don't , it is not a Northern Shoveler though, that was at a tiny little tank, by my house that nothing but Green-winged Teal and Mallards have been on(every time I have checked it at least)

• Like 2

On 2/1/2022 at 9:53 AM, Liam said:

I'm not so egotistical that I won't accept if one of my quiz IDs was wrong. 

Okay:

I find it hard to believe that I missed a Shoveler on a quite small tank, among 20 Green-wingeds and two Mallards, that would stick out like a sore thumb. Not that I am the best birder, but I do find it hard to imagen that I missed it. Also, the orange coloring on 1b is most likely from a dead leaf or stem, I was shooting through some brush, so I wouldn't count on every color you see there.  

Like I said, I am not the greatest birder on here, let alone anywhere else, but I just can't say that was a Shoveler, I do see that it looks like one to some degree, but it also looks like a teal, to me at least. 

Personally I say go with Anas sp. Anyway, do whatever y'all like, it not the end of the world one way or the other.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Kevin said:

Okay:

I find it hard to believe that I missed a Shoveler on a quite small tank, among 20 Green-wingeds and two Mallards, that would stick out like a sore thumb. Not that I am the best birder, but I do find it hard to imagen that I missed it. Also, the orange coloring on 1b is most likely from a dead leaf or stem, I was shooting through some brush, so I wouldn't count on every color you see there.  

Like I said, I am not the greatest birder on here, let alone anywhere else, but I just can't say that was a Shoveler, I do see that it looks like one to some degree, but it also looks like a teal, to me at least. 

Personally I say go with Anas sp. Anyway, do whatever y'all like, it not the end of the world one way or the other.

I was hoping you'd pipe in (since you took the photo!).

I had already written up the write-up before you messaged me back and I hadn't heard from you on the ID of this one. Perhaps there's distortion from the branches that make the undertail coverts look less mottled than they are and the angle makes the head and bill look larger than they are.

And like I said in the write-up, I could certainly be wrong about this guy and my ID was just a guess. I'd be happy to revert the points to Anas sp. or even Anatidae sp. Changing the scoreboard is super-easy with our new-fangled system.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Liam said:

I was hoping you'd pipe in (since you took the photo!).

I had already written up the write-up before you messaged me back and I hadn't heard from you on the ID of this one. Perhaps there's distortion from the branches that make the undertail coverts look less mottled than they are and the angle makes the head and bill look larger than they are.

And like I said in the write-up, I could certainly be wrong about this guy and my ID was just a guess. I'd be happy to revert the points to Anas sp. or even Anatidae sp. Changing the scoreboard is super-easy with our new-fangled system.

Maybe just delete any points for that bird?

To make all you guys feel extra good  ...   here were my wild guesses😩   I'm pretty good with passerines but waterfowl? 😬 

Almost scored a point on #2 for teal sp.  😄  and maybe a couple for guessing all female:classic_cool:

Well waterfowl are my weak point and I only had a chance to look them over quick and not research anything so this will be a real off the cuff guess. Throw the whole handful of darts at once and somethings got to stick 😁

1 - Mallard

2 - gonna throw out American Black Duck here just because I know they're similar and this doesn't look Mallard to me. Could be teal sp or ..?  I'm really not sure off the top of my head. Bill seems wrong for both.

3 - Northern Shoveler is all I know with that bill.

4 - Gonna try Mallard again on this one but something still doesn't look right.🤔

Do I get points for guessing female for all?  And then I'll find out they are all young or eclipse males😫

Oh yeah, and pretty certain 1b is the same as 1a based on that white patch in the same location - so either I got both right or both wrong.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Kerri said:

I really enjoyed how hard this weeks quiz was for me. Dusted off my Sibley's and kept going back and forth on most of them. Thanks for keeping the  photos challenging and educational 🙂

Great! That's the goal of this quiz! I know it's helped me sharpen my skills, even knowing the answers!

I'll post the next quiz today.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, IKLland said:

(Thankfully Liam hasn't posted hybrid west coast gulls here yet.........) 

What a great idea!!

Just kidding. I need to actually be able to identify the quiz birds. Anyone who claims they can ID a gull from the PNW to species is in denial.

But challenging gulls... I may actually do that.

• Haha 6

Thanks everyone for sharing your photos! There were some great quiz photos and I've included some in this week's quiz!

x5wUCVA.jpg

GHe6XJO.jpg

Location for #3: inland Georgia, USA.

VDruMIE.jpg

nARZS3y.jpg

W4ClvvC.jpg

Bonus!! No points added for this one.

MLfyPcZ.jpg

Edited by Liam
don't forget that I can be sneaky
  • Like 6