Whatbird Community

Liam's Weekly Quiz!

Liam

8 minutes ago, Liam said:

Thanks everyone for sharing your photos! There were some great quiz photos and I've included some in this week's quiz!

x5wUCVA.jpg

GHe6XJO.jpg

Location for #3: inland Georgia, USA.

VDruMIE.jpg

nARZS3y.jpg

W4ClvvC.jpg

Bonus!! No points added for this one.

MLfyPcZ.jpg

bringing it to the new page

• Like 4

I updated the scoreboard. 1pt awarded to those who guessed any species in Anatidae for 1b. It's really difficult to ID to species from the picture, even though it's almost certainly a Mallard or Green-winged Teal.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Liam said:

I updated the scoreboard. 1pt awarded to those who guessed any species in Anatidae for 1b. It's really difficult to ID to species from the picture, even though it's almost certainly a Mallard or Green-winged Teal.

Just wondering. Why wasn’t it a gadwall?

4 minutes ago, IKLland said:

Just wondering. Why wasn’t it a gadwall?

Disregarding the location, I think with the detail we have, it very well could be a Gadwall or Shoveler or Green-winged Teal! Hence, my (our) decision to revert the ID to Anatidae sp.

But Kevin says he has never had anything but Green-winged Teal and Mallard in this particular pond, so we know it isn't Gadwall or Shoveler. I can't expect anyone to be able to know that except Kevin, though, so it wouldn't be fair to count points for species when it can't be identified to species by the photo alone.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, PaulK said:

When is the window closed this week? I won't be able to get to this until tonight.

Tomorrow.

2 hours ago, Liam said:

Here's a good hint, y'all.

Bird #4 is NOT a Veery. Think outside your typical field guide for that one! 😉 

Son of a. . . . .well, to pick a new answer, I went to the Wikipedia page of the bird family, scrolled through until I found suspects. 😂

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Thanks everyone for your participation! I'll be going through and counting points and sending prompts to users who haven't guessed yet (if there are any). Answer and scoreboard will be up later today.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Still waiting on 5 users. I should really send prompts 24 hrs ahead of time, but I forget. Busy grad student and all.

I'm honestly quite surprised at how challenging people find Catharus thrushes. I thought it was just me because of my color-sight deficiency! I'm glad we're all able to learn a little more about their ID!

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Liam said:

Y'all have any preference on what we should do for the next quiz?

Orioles? Snoss's Gooses?

I don’t care, as long as it’s NOT gulls. ( if you really want to you can though.. )

I’d like female orioles, as that’s one of my weak spots. Hummingbirds could be good too.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Liam said:

Well I'll gladly accept more photos of all of the above, if you've got em!

Do you still need photos of Finches (Purple/Cassin’s/House) and Swans? Forgot to dm you some when you put that out a week ago. I have a few of the above Sp I’ll send tonight as well.

• Like 2