Whatbird Community

Liam's Weekly Quiz!

Liam

11 hours ago, SirVive said:

I wonder if I need to try looking at these on a different screen - even looking back after the fact and fully zoomed in I can't see any gradient in color on that Hermit (1). And of all the species that is one I have seen and knew what markings to look for. :classic_mellow:

Yeah, that one gave me fits, too, but I figured it had too many breast spots for Veery, not enough for Wood, no buffy spectacles for Swainson's, and too warm for Gray-cheeked, so Hermit was all that was left.

6 minutes ago, meghann said:

Yeah, that one gave me fits, too, but I figured it had too many breast spots for Veery, not enough for Wood, no buffy spectacles for Swainson's, and too warm for Gray-cheeked, so Hermit was all that was left.

I thought it was a trick and was a weird swainson's! Just barely enough buff in the lores that I talked myself into it. Thought there should be more black in the throat for a hermit.

• Like 2

On 2/22/2022 at 10:28 AM, Liam said:

I am counting additional points for sex for all birds, even the background species in #4. I am not counting points for age. I will count 1 extra point for subspecies, but only on 3, 4d, and 5.

a80CVoI.jpg

TTw86hI.jpg

niascKc.jpg

zMGZTED.jpg

jjg9CGV.jpg

Bringing up to the current page.

12 hours ago, SirVive said:

I wonder if I need to try looking at these on a different screen - even looking back after the fact and fully zoomed in I can't see any gradient in color on that Hermit (1). And of all the species that is one I have seen and knew what markings to look for. :classic_mellow:

On 2/21/2022 at 2:27 PM, The Bird Nuts said:

Aw man! I got all of them except for the bonus bird and #1, which I guessed was a Swainson's.  Must be a different subspecies of Hermit than I am used to seeing here.  But I got the Russet Nightingale-Thrush before the hint was given!

1 hour ago, PaulK said:

I thought it was a trick and was a weird swainson's! Just barely enough buff in the lores that I talked myself into it. Thought there should be more black in the throat for a hermit.

Didn't think my photo would cause so much confusion.

• Like 2

Kinda off topic but the Hermits are migrating back. It was down to 20F last night but I had one come and hang out for quite a while within 6' of me today - and he clearly showed be his hiney so I wouldn't get confused 😄

• Like 1

On 2/23/2022 at 9:21 PM, PaulK said:

Interesting -- they've been up here continuously through the winter. (Also I wouldn't have thought it would be as cold for you as for us in this cold snap!)

Screenshot_20220223-211838.thumb.png.0e99752b42e7b31c4e490d814193e442.png

I learned something new. I don't think they commonly winter where I live (or at least I never see them) but this range map shows you right in the middle of a year round 'island'. We do tend to get coldish weather on occasion because we're a bit further from the coast than you and close to the Columbia River Gorge which acts as a big funnel for all the cold air out of the East whenever the wind is from that direction.

Screenshot_2022-02-24-07-58-53.png

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 2/22/2022 at 10:28 AM, Liam said:

I am counting additional points for sex for all birds, even the background species in #4. I am not counting points for age. I will count 1 extra point for subspecies, but only on 3, 4d, and 5.

a80CVoI.jpg

TTw86hI.jpg

niascKc.jpg

zMGZTED.jpg

jjg9CGV.jpg

Thanks again everyone for your participation!

This week's challenge was Haemorhous finches with an emphasis on Cassin's vs. Purple Finch.

Among the easiest difference between Cassin's and Purple Finch is the bill, specifically the shape of the upper mandible (called the culmen). On Cassin's the culmen is straight whereas on Purple Finch the culmen is slightly curved. Plumage differences are subtle but distinct: on females, the streaking on the chest and flanks extends down to the undertail coverts on Cassin's, but stops short of there on Purple; on males, the streaking on the back is more prominent on Cassin's and the chest is less vibrant red, the crown is more vibrant red. Purple males of the eastern subspecies have extensive gray on the face, forming a faint grayish supercilium and malar. Purple males of the western subspecies have an almost entirely red face with no supercilium or malar, and have less prominent streaking on the back compared to eastern males. House Finch males are more orangey-red with duller coloration on the back and rump and also have a more curved culmen.

So here's what we have:

1. Purple Finch female - streaking does not reach the undertail coverts, culmen is slightly curved. This photo was taken by my buddy Bryan Calk in July.

2. Cassin's Finch female - streaking on the undertail coverts, culmen is straight. This photo was taken by my buddy Bryan Calk in December.

3. Purple Finch male, western - culmen is slightly curved, red on back unlike House, no gray on face. This photo was taken by @Aidan B in May. 

4. This photo was taken in Angelina County, Texas in March.

a, c, e. American Goldfinch. They all have bright spots of yellow molting in, so they are males.

b. House Finch male - curved culmen, gray on back, less rosy coloration

d. Purple Finch male, eastern - culmen slightly curved, red on back and somewhat streaky, gray on face forming supercilium and malar

5. Cassin's Finch male (no subspecies) - culmen straight, back very streaky, chest dull, crown bright. This photo was taken by @Connor Cochrane in May.

Here is this week's scoreboard: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1O-lJlp8rr2VAK3CFkMpCkMB-ayTbV7Us/edit?usp=sharing&ouid=104899496886098762905&rtpof=true&sd=true

Let me know if I made any errors with calculations or anything.

Next quiz coming soon!

Edited by Liam
  • Like 7

Just now, Liam said:

I think this many photos and birds is too much to handle 😅 I'll whittle it down to fewer from here on.

I don’t mind it. I like a challenge. Thanks again for keeping up with this quiz!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, PaulK said:

3 is the least purple looking purple I've ever seen!

That's one of the reasons I used it! The western Purples look a lot more like House Finches than easterns.

• Like 4

I'm shocked I got as much right as I did. The only thing I think I missed is calling one of the goldfinches female, because I thought I saw black eyebrows coming in on the other two, but not that one. Lol.

With bird 3, the thing that made me really hesitant calling it a Purple was the bright red crowned peak look, which everything I was reading was saying was strictly a Cassin's thing. Glad I went with Purple, anyway!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Trevor L. said:

Only points I missed were with the goldfinches. Think I called them all females. I did call the Western Purple a Pacific because that's how Sibley defines them, and I think Liam counted that.

Same.