Whatbird Community

Liam's Weekly Quiz!

Liam

Due to that @Liam is too busy at the moment he has asked me to do this week's analysis.

Alright here is what we have this week:

1 Basic plumaged Dunlin- Note black legs, and the black slightly decurved bill, especially at the tip, also the brown face. This bird does not have the very distinctive black belly that a breeding dunlin would have, thus making it very easy to determine that it is in basic plumage. 

2 Basic plumaged American Golden Plover- Note the very small bill, dark cap that contrasts with the rest of it's face, the white belly and chest, the brown mottled back, and that the head, neck, breast, and upperparts are grayish on the American Golden-Plover, were as on the very similar pacific Golden-Plover is yellowish, in those areas. 

3 Basic plumaged Hudsonian Godwit- Note the bicolored and upturned bill, which immediately helps identify it as a Godwit, it is differentiated from the similar Bar-tailed and Black-tailed Godwits by the dark axillaries and underwing coverts, plus that only the lower mandible is pinkish colored, and not the top mandible as well. Also note the gray neck and back, and the white eyebrow and throat. This bird is in basic/nonbreeding plumage, in breeding plumage it would have a white neck, and dark rufous underneath, instead of the gray neck and white underneath this bird has. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3

Wow, having never seen any of these and hardly getting any exposure to shorebirds in general I did better than I hoped. Guessed Red Knot for the first one but got both the others right.

• Like 1

Got the Dunlin and knew it was a Godwit of some sort (guessed wrong). For the Plover I thought it was too clean underneath for a Golden based on the pictures in Sibley so guessed Black-bellied.

I knew they were shorebirds.  :classic_biggrin:  I wish I had more exposure to them.

I suspected I'd seen the first one before (and I had) but couldn't remember what it was.  I had the second as a plover and knew a couple it wasn't.  I had no clue on the last one.  Turns out I haven't knowingly seen the last two.

Ah, well; as they say, "Live and Forget".  At least, I think that's it; maybe not?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Quiscalus quiscula said:

Cassin's vs. Plumbeous vs. Blue-headed give me nightmares...Fortunate that I only have to deal with BHVI here.

It’s not that bad. Learn the facial patterns/contrast for BHVI vs Cassin’s. Plumbeous is easier. 

• Like 2

Sorry y'all, I'm just slammed with thesis stuff lately. After I calculate the latest scoreboard from the past two quizzes, I think I will have to take a break from moderating the quiz until I've finished my master's in May. I'd love for the quiz to continue in my absence though, so y'all should have no problem keeping it going until I'm back. I think @Kevin is the natural interim successor, but I know y'all have expressed interest switching roles, so I'll leave that up to you.

Stay tuned for the latest scoreboard!

• Like 6