Whatbird Community

Liam's Weekly Quiz!

Liam

8 hours ago, The Bird Nuts said:

I'm assuming we're messaging @Kevin our answers now?

Yes.

7 hours ago, PaulK said:

Did we ever get the correct answers to last week's quiz? Not sure if I've missed it. Thanks to @Liamfor all your hard work running this!

I'll post them latter today.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Kevin said:

1 Adult, Blue-gray Gnatcatcher 

2 Adult, Plumbeous Vireo

3 Juvenile White-eyed Vireo.  

Dang, I had Plumbeous stuck in my head as the classic adult male, super gray with almost no color, so I went with Cassin’s for 2.

Okay, hopefully this all works...

1 Adult Female Red-winged Blackbird. Note the heavy streaking and the thin bill, helping differentiate it from sparrows, also the similar Tricolored Blackbird can be eliminated by how lightly colored this bird is, it is not near as dark as a Tricolored would be -also range completely rules it out. This photo was taken in Palo Pinto County(North central Texas) December 2021. 

2 Adult Black-crested x Tufted Titmouse(hybrid) , this bird may seem pretty confusing to some, but this is a typical hybrid, it shows some traits that both Tufted and Black-crested have, the orange flanks, mostly gray body, and the crest, but this bird has two major differing points: A dark gray crest, and a rusty, or sometimes chestnut forehead. This photo was taken in Palo Pinto County(North central Texas) Mar. 26.

3 Juvenile Painted Bunting. This bird is much greener than the similar Indigo and Lazuli Buntings also it does not have the two white wing bars. Note the messed up, and patchy feathers, as well as the distinct gape this bird has, all indicating it was a juvenile. 

Those who guessed the the correct species will get 3 points, 2 points if you got in the right genus, and 1 point if you got the family. Also 1 additional point for sex, age, and subspecies, when it can be determined.

Here is the scoreboard, please let me know if I made any mistakes. 

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1O-lJlp8rr2VAK3CFkMpCkMB-ayTbV7Us/edit#gid=1696946999

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Kevin said:

Also if anyone sent their guesses to @Liam, send me a screen shot, and I will except that. 

Is the scoreboard in order from most points to least? Because there are some that would be out of order then.

14 minutes ago, IKLland said:

Is the scoreboard in order from most points to least? Because there are some that would be out of order then.

Yes, it was, I just hadn't changed it, I fixed it just now though.