Whatbird Community

Liam's Weekly Quiz!

Liam

Sorry y'all! The quiz with non-birds was a joke FYI!

I've been super busy moving (not done yet!). And now I'm back in Georgia to see my grandfather, who is really sick.

• Like 7
  • Sad 2

41 minutes ago, Liam said:

I've been super busy moving (not done yet!). And now I'm back in Georgia to see my grandfather, who is really sick.

Prayers and best wishes for your grandfather 🙏

• Like 7

On 6/10/2022 at 10:29 AM, Liam said:

I don't care about the rest, but what is the fish? 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Charlie Spencer said:

I'm going with Rainbow Trout.

12 minutes ago, Kevin said:

That was my guess too. 

I'm not a fisherman but my first thought was speckled trout, or brook trout, which I think is the same thing, but like I said, I am not a fisherman.

As a fisherman, it’s a Rainbow trout. Broom trout look pretty different (they aren’t even a trout, they’re a char). The only thing that’s easy to confuse it with is a cutthroat trout, which the doesn’t appear to be. 

10 hours ago, lonestranger said:

I'm not a fisherman but my first thought was speckled trout, or brook trout, which I think is the same thing, but like I said, I am not a fisherman.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Connor Cochrane said:

As a fisherman, it’s a Rainbow trout. Broom trout look pretty different (they aren’t even a trout, they’re a char). The only thing that’s easy to confuse it with is a cutthroat trout, which the doesn’t appear to be. 

Just to be clear, I wasn't challenging the previous guesses, I was simply adding my guess to the list and trying to make it clear that I didn't know what I was talking about.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Okay, I just realized that my message inbox was full, and don't know if anybody sent in answers that I didn't get? I don't really now how that works, never has happened before. 

I will respond to all the messages I did get, if don't respond to you, please resend your answers to me.

Thanks!

5 hours ago, Kevin said:

Okay, I just realized that my message inbox was full

Mr Popular :classic_cool:

It least I'm part of the 'in' crowd - mine got delivered 😋

Edited by SirVive

Sorry everybody! I forgot about this.

Immature Yellow-crowned Night-Heron - Note the almost all black bill, as apposed to the primarily yellow bill on a juvenile or immature Black-crowned. Also the position the bird is in, is more typical of Yellow-crowned, that is obviously not id point, but it is a hint towards Yellow-crowned. 

This photo was taken on Jun 29, 2020, Lake Weatherford, Parker County, Texas. 

Please let me know if I made any mistakes, or missed you on the score board. 

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1O-lJlp8rr2VAK3CFkMpCkMB-ayTbV7Us/edit#gid=1696946999

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Kevin said:

Sorry everybody! I forgot about this.

Immature Yellow-crowned Night-Heron - Note the almost all black bill, as apposed to the primarily yellow bill on a juvenile or immature Black-crowned. Also the position the bird is in, is more typical of Yellow-crowned, that is obviously not id point, but it is a hint towards Yellow-crowned. 

This photo was taken on Jun 29, 2020, Lake Weatherford, Parker County, Texas. 

Please let me know if I made any mistakes, or missed you on the score board. 

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1O-lJlp8rr2VAK3CFkMpCkMB-ayTbV7Us/edit#gid=1696946999

Okay, so on juvies, the bill color is opposite of the adult crown color?  Young YCNH have black bills, young BCNH have yellow bills, right?

3 hours ago, Charlie Spencer said:

Okay, so on juvies, the bill color is opposite of the adult crown color?  Young YCNH have black bills, young BCNH have yellow bills, right?

Basically that is right. They can both show both yellow and black on their bills though, so you do have to be careful about that.

• Thanks 1