Jump to content
Whatbird Community

Liam's Weekly Quiz!


Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, The Bird Nuts said:

I knew what the tree was, too, but I didn't know of any birds that relied on them for food! 😐

I went with Pine Warbler. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

That's actually a good strategy...almost everything is a Pine Warbler!

  • Haha 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, The Bird Nuts said:

I knew what the tree was, too, but I didn't know of any birds that relied on them for food! 😐

I went with Pine Warbler. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Same, I knew exactly what tree is, but they're everywhere, so it didn't even occur to me to look for something so localized.

I went with Western Tanager. There's fledgling pics online not too far off the mark.

Edited by meghann
  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Kevin said:

Well I will give y'all all a tip, it is a Sparrow! 

It sure looks like a sparrow, but is it? I am starting to have doubts. I think @Liam has found another tricky one, or is he tricking us with a simple, but often confusing, song sparrow? White edged tail feathers don't really fit song sparrow though. *thinks out loud*

  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, lonestranger said:

It sure looks like a sparrow, but is it? I am starting to have doubts. I think @Liam has found another tricky one, or is he tricking us with a simple, but often confusing, song sparrow? White edged tail feathers don't really fit song sparrow though. *thinks out loud*

I don't know about that, but I do know @Liam has been picking rare birds, so I would guess this is one too.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, Kevin said:

Well I will give y'all all a tip, it is a Sparrow! 

 

31 minutes ago, Kevin said:

I don't know about that, but I do know @Liam has been picking rare birds, so I would guess this is one too.

Alright, I throw out a bit more of my opinion. It is a common species but a rare subspecies, of course this all assuming I am right(which is unlikely)! 

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Kevin said:

 

Alright, I throw out a bit more of my opinion. It is a common species but a rare subspecies, of course this all assuming I am right(which is unlikely)! 

Hmmm, not what I was thinking. Anyway, I think we can rule out the dusky subspecies of the Seaside Sparrow, as the Dusky Seaside Sparrow is gone forever.

  • Sad 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Kevin said:

 

Alright, I throw out a bit more of my opinion. It is a common species but a rare subspecies, of course this all assuming I am right(which is unlikely)! 

Exactly my guess! 😂 Say, do you want me to PM you my guess to see if we guessed the same thing?

 

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Kevin said:

 

Alright, I throw out a bit more of my opinion. It is a common species but a rare subspecies, of course this all assuming I am right(which is unlikely)! 

We may have guessed the same thing!

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/16/2021 at 12:39 PM, Liam said:

Here's this week's quiz bird! Please DM me using the same message thread as the last quiz bird.

3X2Wm2V.jpg

Interesting..

On 9/16/2021 at 5:27 PM, Aidan B said:

I also guessed the same thing

Because @Liamsaid it’s very habitat specific, and I know nothing on trees, I thought it might be a jack pine, and that it’s a young kirtland’s warbler. 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Kerri said:

I think Liam likes to use the context of the photo as a clue for us as well. Having said that I will now be researching what I believe to be "beachy' habitat brownish sparrow-like birds lol

. . . . if it's even the beach. Liam has birded LOTS of places. Just sayin'.

  • Like 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...