Whatbird Community

Possible Western Grebe in Eagle Mountain Lake

We were in a cabin August 29th on the east shore of Eagle Mountain Lake (Fort Worth) watching Ducks, Osprey, Kites and Cormorants when I spotted an unusual bird on the water. Thought it might be a Loon but a look in Sibley later indicated it might be a Western Grebe but not in its normal range. It was over a hundred yards away so pix are not sharp. What do you think.

Kenneth Drake Willis, Tx

western grebe.jpg

7 hours ago, Melierax said:

Yep, that's a Western Grebe! Might want to put that on eBird. Looks like most sightings of them were from 2015 at that lake. 

Thanks. I posted the sighting there and pix. Interesting web page. I'm mostly a casual watcher. Mostly at home 55 miles north of Houston. When I spotted this bird and after looking it up in Sibley thought it was oddly out of range. Thanks again on the pointer.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Master Drago said:

Thanks. I posted the sighting there and pix. Interesting web page. I'm mostly a casual watcher. Mostly at home 55 miles north of Houston. When I spotted this bird and after looking it up in Sibley thought it was oddly out of range. Thanks again on the pointer.

Welcome to Whatbird! I grew up in Houston. 🙂