Whatbird Community

A Series of Unfortunate Events

meghann

2 minutes ago, meghann said:

Yep. Occasionally I'll get someone who genuinely seems interested. The wardens did, they at least knew they had seen pine warblers there!

Yeah, the game wardens we've encountered know what birding is and are interested in the birds we're seeing.  I always get nervous when they show up though!

• Like 1

Just now, The Bird Nuts said:

Yeah, the game wardens we've encountered know what birding is and are interested in the birds we're seeing.  I always get nervous when they show up though!

I was kind of disappointed. . . they didn't even ask to see my DNR license!

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, meghann said:

. . . .I'm not young. LOL.

From May-October or so I bird in shorts 99% of the time. I get overheated super quickly, and Georgia is just too muggy to be tromping around in jeans in the summer. My dad suggested some sort of pants from REI he swears by and says don't get hot, but we'll see.

If you find those pants, especially if they are reasonably priced share please.

11 hours ago, Quiscalus quiscula said:

Yeah, I haven't even birded in shorts before. It's just something you don't do.

I'm already dressed in shorts to head out in a couple of hours.  It's already 74F and 90% humidity, I know the spot well, and I don't expect to tangle with the briars.  I did wear long jeans to the same patch a month ago, but I was planning on going off-road.  

Sunscreen, repellant, and wide-brimmed hat are always in the car.

Edited by Charlie Spencer
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Charlie Spencer said:

I'm already dressed in shorts to head out in a couple of hours.  I know the spot well and don't expect to tangle with the briars.  Sunscreen, repellant, and wide-brimmed hat are always in the car.

Happy Birding and good luck!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, PalmWarbler said:

I haven't either cause I hate getting bug bites

Long pants, heavy sigh, are not a guarantee you won't get bug bites but I'm at least not going to make easy for the lil buggers! Fire Ants especially will find their way into your pant legs.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Charlie Spencer said:

Holy cow, somebody else is up and on line!  I normally have this place to myself at this hour.

This is actually late for me to be on. I get up around 4:00 to 4:30 AM every morning. Old habits die hard.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, meghann said:

Probably. When I hiked with him last month, he gave me a hard time, especially when I decided to bushwhack and it was uncomfortable in shorts. But as the kids say these days. . . YOLO. ?

This evening I birded in shorts, but I took a camp chair and just plunked it by a creek and sat there. Only trouble I had was the game wardens stopping to chat with me to see what on earth I was doing.

I've had my 'parked on the shoulder' car reported to the police a few times at one patch.  It's a small town and at least one of the officers now recognizes the circumstances.  He drives by to confirm it is indeed me, waves, and contacts the concerned citizen.

I've finally printed a "I'm birding" notice to put on the dashboard.

• Like 6
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Clip said:

What is a DNR License?

*Department of Natural Resources

I was at a WMA, so you have to have a hunting or fishing license to be there. (Well, or that land pass thing they came out with, but the info went around the birding community that you DON'T want to buy that. It's more expensive, and the WMAs actually get less funding for them. Better to just buy the cheap fishing license each year.)

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Clip said:

If you find those pants, especially if they are reasonably priced share please.

I think they're expensive, which is why my dad was offering them to me for Christmas. It was one of these two, I think. Maybe the second one, because I remember him talking about just brushing water off with his hand. I have a text into him to ask, but where he lives in NM has terrible cell service, so I'll update when he writes back.

https://www.rei.com/product/108939/rei-co-op-sahara-convertible-pants-womens

https://www.rei.com/product/184885/rei-co-op-sahara-guide-convertible-pants-womens

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, meghann said:

I was at a WMA, so you have to have a hunting or fishing license to be there. (Well, or that land pass thing they came out with, but the info went around the birding community that you DON'T want to buy that. It's more expensive, and the WMAs actually get less funding for them. Better to just buy the cheap fishing license each year.)

Huh...never knew that some places require a license just to visit a WMA.  Is that a Georgia thing?  We often joke that the wardens will ask for a birding license.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, The Bird Nuts said:

Huh...never knew that some places require a license just to visit a WMA.  Is that a Georgia thing?  We often joke that the wardens will ask for a birding license.

Nope, not just a Georgia thing. I've looked up, and at least some other states have it as well, where you have to have some sort of license to be present on the property. A friendly reminder to everyone to look into that kind of thing before heading out!

• Like 3

I'd recommend coming to Canada where the park services are so underfunded the park rangers exist merely as a myth. As of several years ago there were 7 full-time park rangers responsible for the 600+ provincial parks in BC, with forestry technicians and others with other full-time jobs deputized as rangers to make the numbers look better.

• Like 2

I’ve never seen a park ranger while walking about ever in Canada. I’ve seen them parked beside bears on the side of the road a handful of times making sure no ones stopping, but that’s about it.

We almost lost 175 parks in my dumpster fire of a province in 2020 to ‘save money’ and ‘better allocate resources to more visited parks’.  For this year we have had to buy a conservation pass in order to enter an area called Kananaskis (made up of several provincial parks, reserves, and recreation areas) because they’re underfunded and can’t keep up with the influx of people visiting. 

I remember my first time watching that show called Northwoods law and was surprised seeing how big of a deal park rangers were down there. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Aaron said:

I’ve never seen a park ranger while walking about ever in Canada. I’ve seen them parked beside bears on the side of the road a handful of times making sure no ones stopping, but that’s about it.

We almost lost 175 parks in my dumpster fire of a province in 2020 to ‘save money’ and ‘better allocate resources to more visited parks’.  For this year we have had to buy a conservation pass in order to enter an area called Kananaskis (made up of several provincial parks, reserves, and recreation areas) because they’re underfunded and can’t keep up with the influx of people visiting. 

I remember my first time watching that show called Northwoods law and was surprised seeing how big of a deal park rangers were down there. 

We binged a bunch of those shows on vacation recently. It was interesting seeing how different they operate in the different states, too. The New Hampshire ones were doing what I'd expect from game wardens. The Texas and Washington ones were more hardcore, with the WA ones pulling people over on the highway for DUI and essentially acting the same as cops.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, meghann said:

I think they're expensive, which is why my dad was offering them to me for Christmas. It was one of these two, I think. Maybe the second one, because I remember him talking about just brushing water off with his hand. I have a text into him to ask, but where he lives in NM has terrible cell service, so I'll update when he writes back.

https://www.rei.com/product/108939/rei-co-op-sahara-convertible-pants-womens

https://www.rei.com/product/184885/rei-co-op-sahara-guide-convertible-pants-womens

I have men's Sahara convertible pants, in both tan/brown and gray colors like the ones you linked to, and I like them both. My tan ones are thinner and maybe less water resistant than my gray ones.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Peromyscus said:

I have men's Sahara convertible pants, in both tan/brown and gray colors like the ones you linked to, and I like them both. My tan ones are thinner and maybe less water resistant than my gray ones.

My dad confirmed it was Sahara, but didn't say normal or the Guide ones. Since he mentioned the water brushing off, guess it would have to be the Guide ones.

They are super expensive for me, but he has had his for over 25 years and they're still going strong, so I guess they're an investment.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, meghann said:

My dad confirmed it was Sahara, but didn't say normal or the Guide ones. Since he mentioned the water brushing off, guess it would have to be the Guide ones.

They are super expensive for me, but he has had his for over 25 years and they're still going strong, so I guess they're an investment.

That's good to know about their longevity. I believe that mine are normal/classic.

6 hours ago, Aaron said:

I know Canadian park rangers exist--at least they did 25 or so years ago, because they threatened to arrest my 16 y/o baby sister for picking wildflowers in one of the national parks.  ?  She was there on a high school trip.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

18 hours ago, meghann said:

A federal Duck Stamp will get you in to WMAs too.  98% of each $25 annual duck stamp goes to land management.  The number of hunters is declining, and sales of stamps to birders can make up the difference in revenue.

https://www.fws.gov/birds/get-involved/duck-stamp/buy-duck-stamp.php

While you can buy a stamp from a number of sources, I suggest buying from the ABA.  This helps indicate you purchased as stamp as a birder, not a hunter.  Buying from F&W or other sources doesn't make that distinction.  But regardless of where you get it, buy one!

https://www.aba.org/store/2021-2022-duck-stamp/

• Like 1