Whatbird Community

A Series of Unfortunate Events

meghann

56 minutes ago, Charlie Spencer said:

Isn't there a woodpecker that specializes in recolonizing burned lands?

I often see Three-toed Woodpecker in burnt forests when i’m up in Montana, but it’s usually a very specific habitat which require a specific type of burn and lots of beetles. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Connor Cochrane said:

I often see Three-toed Woodpecker in burnt forests when i’m up in Montana, but it’s usually a very specific habitat which require a specific type of burn and lots of beetles. 

Aren’t Black-backed known to like burned forests in the sierras? 

On 1/13/2024 at 4:44 AM, SirVive said:

Keep that attitude and you will see a new kind of beauty grow from the ashes. It will never be the same for sure but there will be winners as well as losers in the flora and fauna. I live a few miles from the devastation caused by Mt St Helens as well as some more recent major fires and life does come back. 

That’s what I’m trying to do, I’m sure there will be a hummingbird boom in a few years.

More so worried that this will be an excuse for more land to get developed now that it’s practically cleared. Which would probably happen eventually regardless. 

Have to wait and see I guess 🤷🏻‍♂️

Just funny how this year was the 1st year I wasn’t there at all from May-August and it decided to burn down. Typically I’m there every few weeks from March-October.  And since life is lifing, I most likely won’t get to be there when it’s good (spring, early summer) for the next few years. Just weird thinking 2022 was sorta the ‘end’ of everything out there for me and I didn’t realize it.
But anyways, *tiny violin*. 

• Like 6