Whatbird Community

Flycatcher ID

5 hours ago, Liam said:

Here's some more important maps !!

rawImage.jpg

I had no clue they were so limited! I thought they were just about everywhere. We don't eat much fast food but I think they are one of the better fast food places. 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Charlie Spencer said:

Bless all y'all's hearts.  :classic_tongue:

20 hours ago, Quiscalus quiscula said:

I definitely heard that while I was down in NC.

Isn't that an insult when a Southern person says that?😄Should have read page 2 first.

Edited by chipperatl
  • Haha 3

21 minutes ago, Kevin said:

They seem to go on forever and forever when you are going by. 

Funny, that's how it felt when I was in one, like it was never going to end.  I want three things when I take a break from driving - cheap gas, clean bathroom, cold Diet Pepsi.  Everything else is just in the way.

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, Kevin said:

I have never been in a Buc-ee's but I have driven by one several times. They seem to go on forever and forever when you are going by. 

Visiting Bucc-ee's is a rite of passage for any Texan!

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, chipperatl said:

Isn't that an insult when a Southern person says that?😄Should have read page 2 first.

"Your cousin Coy, bless his heart, he tries..."

With the unspoken finish to the sentence being "...but he's dumber than a box of rocks.  He couldn't make 'nanner puddin' if you spotted him the 'Niller wafers."

Edited by Charlie Spencer
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

26 minutes ago, Quiscalus quiscula said:

I get the rest, but what are' 'niller wafers' ?

Next you will be saying you have never had banana pudding! 

And I mean real, homemade banana pudding, like my mom and brother can make.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Kevin said:

IT MOST DEFINTLY IS!!!!!:classic_angry::classic_angry:

😛😝🤪

It most definitely is not!!

Here in the Northeast, we have culture. We've got wonderful classical music, beautiful fall colors, and some great reenactment battlefields (like Saratoga, been there, reenacted that) and lots of history, as the Atlantic seaboard was where some of the first european settlements were made. We've got some epic birds too!

Anyone else care to chip in?

• Like 6

7 hours ago, Quiscalus quiscula said:

I had to look this up! I never heard of a Whataburger, though apparently there are some locations in AZ. Another question: Why are hamburgers called hamburgers if they don't have ham in it?? Which is exactly why I've never eaten a hamburger before.

I understand Whataburger carries a cult status similar to In-N-Out

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Quiscalus quiscula said:

Interesting. No, I never heard of it. Seems like a Vermont thing.

https://www.thetravel.com/what-is-a-creemee-in-vermont/

Hey, you're not supposed to give it away! :classic_tongue:  Yes, it's a Vermont soft serve ice cream and maple is one of the well known flavors (of course!).  It's not that special, in my non-foodie opinion.  But I do think it's cool that there are creemee stands even along rural roads next to farms.  Ahh...eating ice cream while smelling cow poop...

• Haha 5

2 hours ago, Quiscalus quiscula said:

Hmmm, I've had banana muffins! No, I have not had banana pudding. 

Gitch'erse'f (Get yourself) a box of Nilla Wafers, three or four bananas, a box of instant vanilla pudding (NOT banana flavor pudding!), and 2 cups whole milk (or Carnation!).  In a long low Tupperware (you do have Tupperware, right?  Sigh.  Okay, use a casserole dish.), arrange a layer of wafers over the bottom and around the sides.  Slice the bananas about 1/4-inch thick (we don't use metric measurements in The South) and put a layer of them over the wafers.   Combine the mix and milk according to package directions, then apply half of it over the cookies and banana slices.  Repeat with another layer of cookies, bananas, and pudding.  Give it a few gentle jostles so the pudding begins to seep between the cookies and bananas.  Toss the container in the ice box (what some of y'all call a 'refrigerator') for several hours or until it's time to drive to the reunion.  Do NOT leave it in the car by accident, or cousins Sam and Ella will drop by.

If Aunt Ruby was feeling fancy, she'd add a layer of Cool Whip (not whipped cream).  We don't discuss adding liquor to the pudding, at least not in front of the young'uns.

Tune in next week, kids, when we'll make every diabetic's favorite, Sweet Potato Casserole (OH MY GAWD).

Edited by Charlie Spencer
  • Like 2
  • Haha 9

36 minutes ago, Charlie Spencer said:

Gitch'erse'f (Get yourself) a box of Nilla Wafers, three or four bananas, a box of instant vanilla pudding (NOT banana flavor pudding!), and 2 cups whole milk (or Carnation!).  In a long low Tupperware (you do have Tupperware, right?  Sigh.  Okay, use a casserole dish.), arrange a layer of wafers over the bottom and around the sides.  Slice the bananas about 1/4-inch thick (we don't use metric measurements in The South) and put a layer of them over the wafers.   Combine the mix and milk according to package directions, then apply half of it over the cookies and banana slices.  Repeat with another layer of cookies, bananas, and pudding.  Give it a few gentle jostles so the pudding begins to seep between the cookies and bananas.  Toss the container in the ice box (what some of y'all call a 'refrigerator') for several hours or until it's time to drive to the reunion.  Do NOT leave it in the car by accident, or cousins Sam and Ella will drop by.

If Aunt Ruby was feeling fancy, she'd add a layer of Cool Whip (not whipped cream).  We don't discuss adding liquor to the pudding, at least not in front of the young'uns.

Tune in next week, kids, when we'll make every diabetic's favorite, Sweet Potato Casserole (OH MY GAWD).

Eeek!!!  My long line of Southern grandmothers, great-grandmothers, aunts, etc. would be spinning in their graves if I used store-bought instant pudding or Cool Whip.    Real Southern banana pudding is made with home-made vanilla custard and topped with real meringue (from raw egg whites, not that safe, pasteurized, store-bought egg-whites-in-a-carton stuff) and toasted quickly & lightly. 

• Like 6
  • Haha 1